Author Topic: 78 Formula steering wheel  (Read 1431 times)

Offline JRichards

78 Formula steering wheel
« on: June 06, 2020, 10:54:45 AM »
I am restoring a 78 Formula and have a question on the steering wheel.
Do the Formulas come with chrome plating over the wood grain on the horn trim or did someone spray this at some point to cover the wood grain? My car has the deluxe cloth interior.

Looking at pictures online I see another 78 Formula that is supposed to be original with low miles that has wood grain.

Thoughts?

Offline JRichards

Re: 78 Formula steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
Here is a second picture of it

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 08:54:44 PM »
Is the woodgrain transfer not over the aluminium and peeling off?

Offline JRichards

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »
Actually you are right... the woodgrain baked off the aluminum. This was a southern California/Nevada car. Not a spec of rust but every piece of rubber and trim got baked.

I haven't come across any reproductions of this particular steering wheel. I will stay on the lookout for a replacement though.

I will probably put this in the original parts/removed parts bucket that will sell with the car and put a padded wheel in it for driveability/aesthetics.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:58:41 PM by JRichards »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 01:29:27 AM »
Not the sort of thing that has much of a market so don't count on a repro ever. They can often be found in good condition but the colour may be the difference. You could try some of the coloured woodgrain contact roll. I'm not sure if the wood chosen was matched to the dash which also changed over the years. I think 78 was Rosewood, can check.