Author Topic: Multi Media Blaster  (Read 14051 times)

Offline JupiterBandit

Re: Multi Media Blaster
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:43 AM »
Wish I could but I got 3 more sub frames to go and 4 cars to blast. But then I'm going to sell this off if I don't do something stupid like buy another car to restore.

I think after I get out of the weeds on these restorations I'm going to stick to buying finished projects lol

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
So just to recap on the blasting. I know I said it was cheaper to go this route. 4 bags at $12 = $48.00

Then someone pointed out the $15k in machinery to do it. lol

I'll recoup the $15k when I go to sell it when all is finished.

Each car should cost me about $400 in material and that beats paying $1,600 per car for sure.

So I'll save $1,200 X 4 = $4,800.00 plus whatever else I find to blast

Offline smfs_fear_mii

• if youre gonna do it, do it right!
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
hell i could have used the blaster on tons of things. it may have been expensive equipment but what if you go in like 4 or 5 cars? then you save time and money. and i love saving time. as for me....i have wire brushes. i dont even have power tools. everything ive done to my car i did by hand
i always seem to have the perfect amount of tools! unless i have to work on something...

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
That is respectable hard work right there.

I'm just too damn lazy. I started blasting my undercarriage with a harbor freight blaster and it took me 4 hours and I only did the underside of the trunk floor. It was hot and messy and I had to keep waiting for the compressor to build back up. I tried a wire brush but the muck was too thick.

I highly recommend the industrial blaster.  ;D

I think you can rent these things too. That's always a thought. $150 for the compressor and $100 for the blaster for the weekend. That could be an idea
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:52:26 AM by JupiterBandit »

Offline smfs_fear_mii

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »
if i had money i would buy one! with all of the wire brushes i have ever bought i ccould have probably bought one lol
i always seem to have the perfect amount of tools! unless i have to work on something...

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »
if i had money i would buy one! with all of the wire brushes i have ever bought i ccould have probably bought one lol

Try renting one maybe

Offline smfs_fear_mii

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
i will when time comes to rip the subframe off and do the body. i gotta get the engine back together so i can get it back to ohio!

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »
If you do go the blasting route when the time comes feel free to hit me up. I'll give you whatever tips I got. I first thought it was just point and shoot and then I learned it was much more.

Offline smfs_fear_mii

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
isnt that all it is? just point and shoot ;D

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 12:31:01 PM »
I had a test panel. An old hood for a 67 mustang. I had it at 100psi, blasted it and then noticed I could see all of the substrate through the skin. It is now permanently screwed. So I had to do a lot of tests with how much nozzle pressure vs pot pressure and how much media to feed. It ended up being it's own science. But now I got most of it figured out

Offline Driver79

• 1985 Trans Am 5.0L
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
Hows that blaster working out for you?

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
Hows that blaster working out for you?

So far so good. It's nice to be able to blast large sections in minutes instead of hours. I still have to learn it's limits but that will come with experience.