Author Topic: Complete Exhaust Systems  (Read 4131 times)

Offline LANCER

Complete Exhaust Systems
« on: March 04, 2007, 08:04:40 PM »
Who sells a complete exhaust for a 1977 Trans Am ? I know of two places but am wondering if there is more. The ones I have heard of are Ram Air Restorations and Pypes. If these are the only two out there which one makes a better product? Is a person better of with a dual exhaust into one muffler and dual out or duals into seperate mufflers? Is there a clearance issue when using either of these systems? I am using ram header manifolds and the engine when finished will be about 380 HP. Thanks,Lance

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: Complete Exhaust Systems
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »
hmm i cant say which one makes a better product but i do like the whole pypes system....i ran it on my 79 and my 78 i had....dont like any of their brand mufflers though....flowmaster, and magnaflow both have systems out now..and when i finish my 79 im putting it on....but as far as clearance issues the pypes was a perfect fit everywhere...mine had the x-pipe and when it ran down the body it was tucked up rather nicely in the driveshaft tunnel.... ;D
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline LANCER

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »
What Pypes system did you use? One muffler or two? Do you recall the part #? Thanks

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »
i used the dual muffler system, never cared for crossflow mufflers
Eroc

Offline LANCER

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:34:52 PM »
Were the mufflers located under the car or just one by the rear axle? I have been to pypes web site but I am not sure what system you are talking about. Would you have time to go to there site and find out what system it was?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:45:22 PM »
Eroc

Offline LANCER

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 09:52:38 PM »
So did you go with the SGF30 system?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 10:00:22 PM »
no i bought the SGF10s system with mufflers but i recommend the part number you have and pick up your own mufflers, its 2.5 offset in and 2.5 offset out
Eroc

Offline bad76

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 08:42:16 AM »
I used a Pypes system on my 76 with the race pro mufflers and X pipe and it worked great. The Pypes system is a 2-1/2" mandrel bent system and it flows better than a 3" regular bent system. If you check flow rates on mufflers the pypes flow much better than the flowmasters.