Author Topic: Build Sheet Question  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Solar78

Build Sheet Question
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:43:02 PM »
Hi All...

Hope everyone is doing well.. been MIA while I have been TA-LESS! :-( hoping to get back into one shortly though.

Question.. does anyone know where and what code it would be for the side moldings that run along the side of the trans am? The car in my avatar has them.. but not sure if the car I am looking at should have them or not?  I kinda like them... but want the car to be correct should I purchase it.

Thanks for the help...
Solar78
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Codes?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
Body side moldings are RPO B84.

"Usually" the adhesive style is factory while the dealer installs used rivets.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Build Sheet Question
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
Both types of molding are available should you wish to add them again. Even the aluminium riveted type is mostly adhesive now. If the car has been painted since new then more than likely any moldings left off.

Offline Solar78

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »
Thanks...
I bought the trans am... just can't really read the build sheet from the scan of it to see if it originally had these moldings.

I have to say I like the way they set off the lines of the car... but won't add them if they don't belong.

does PHS give a built sheet? No right? Just the window sticker.....

Thanks guys for the help
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:41:29 AM »
You can look on the inside of the door edges or remove the door jam vent to see of any rivet holes welded up to rule out that version. Mine is like that, can see the holes have been welded in, which means at some stage it had the riveted version. It was on the buildsheet too.

I recall reading elsewhere that sometimes vehicles didn't always have the molding fitted, but should have so was forwarded to dealer or whoever with instructions to install, where they may not have had adhesive version. Not sure if there was any real evidence in paperwork though or just ideas. I'll re-fit the adhesive version when done, you're right, for some colours it really brings out the body lines and breaks up the large panels, plus protects the doors from careless mechanics and electricians! I have 3 dimples in my doors from this alone that would have been protected if still in place.

Edit: Mine are also listed on the PHS copy order form, B84 Body side molding. In March, '78 they were suggested retail for $42 but invoiced for $32.76 , no further information in regards to type. The window sticker is extra, not part of the standard PHS bundle.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:15:23 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Solar78

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
Thanks...

Yeah I finally got my dream trans am.. Mayan Red T-Top Black Interior. She is bare bones right now.. but by april will be back at home and completed! But for some reason I think the red looks nice with the body side moldings....

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »
A lot of people have been lovin the body style moldings. I think I'll be keeping mine too

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »
does PHS give a built sheet? No right? Just the window sticker.....

No build sheets available from PHS...factory use item only (often left in the car, sometimes discarded); once it's gone, it's gone.
Window stickers are available with your PHS document purchase for additional charge
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline RECARO.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Not any more, PHS has stopped making reproduction window stickers because people were complaining about the quality and info. The company that PHS used for this was Triple A Enterprises http://www.window-sticker.com/ and they stopped making them for T/A's also. I am trying to find out who else can make them but so far no luck. If anyone knows please share.