Author Topic: WC/X7 stamping ATTN:John Witzke  (Read 2973 times)

Offline TA78

• Pioneer Valley Firebird Association
WC/X7 stamping ATTN:John Witzke
« on: December 09, 2006, 11:48:25 AM »
This is mainly to John Witzke, but please anyone with answer, thought, Idea please chime in.
  I am the second owner of a 78 T/A W72 4spd. The original block is double stamped X7 then WC right over it. The vin stamp matches my car, all the casting numbers and date codes are correct for a W72 Engine.
     My theory is either the engine or the car was earmarked to be an auto and was changed last minute(so to speak)at the factory to a 4 spd. I know the history of the car, I bought it from a very close friend of the family, it has always been a 4spd since day one, He is not the "CAR GUY" type that would know about stamping, casting numbers and such, nor would he care.
     So the question John and others, have you heard of this before, the double stamp?

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:23:56 PM »
While I do not believe it was common what you have is very possible as mistakes did happen and I have heard of it.  I assume the block casting number is is the correct XX 481988  

What is the build date of your car?  What I am thinking is it may have happened around the cut off date for an automatic transmission car.  This double stamping would have happened prior to engine assembly.
John Witzke

Offline TA78

• Pioneer Valley Firebird Association
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:03:42 PM »
Yes, The casting # is correct, date code K176.  The build date of the car is May 78.

Thanks for your response.

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:29:14 PM »
May 1978 was during the time the final W72 automatic cars were produced.  This is just a theory and not fact, but it could have been possible that a few X7 code engine blocks were re-stamped WC for 4-speed applications during the transition to the use of only one transmission.  This would seem logical, but again, it is just a theory and not based on any facts.
John Witzke