Author Topic: Rice problems  (Read 2511 times)

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
Rice problems
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »
I know this isn't T/A related, but I know there are some people on here who know their stuff. 

My wife's '93 Acura is having problems on the highway.  After the engine gets up to operating temp and you are cruising at a steady speed, the car dies off as though you let off of the gas pedal.  If I press the gas, the car picks back up and runs fine as long as it is accelerating.  If anybody has any ideas, please let me know.  The alternator and battery are new and I also put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank.  My next thought on the problem is possibly the throttle position sensor.

Now I know the why I never owned imports.

Thanks!!
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
Re: Rice problems
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:52:17 PM »
i had similar problems before with a cavalier and found a bad plug wire. check out your ignition system i'd say its atleast a start.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:58:46 PM »
not really familuar with this engine but being they all have the basic function and design ( how they work ). I would have to start with the basic fire triangle... Air, fuel, Ignition. have had to work on a few cars with simular problem but all turned up to be differant faults... one was restricted fuel filter, another was severly warn plugs, another excessively clogged and dry-rotted airfilter. But by far the one that was most complex was my 90 Grand Am... as long as engine RPM slowly increasaed it ran fine but as soon as a a loss of power was detected let off the throttle and begin again  simular to your complaint it would run ok.... long story short... warn timing chain guide allowing too much slack in the chain...
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
Your fuel pressure might be low.  I'm not familiar with that engine and don't know if there is a fuel rail with a schrader valve where you could measure fuel pressure.  There are things in those engines that control fuel/air/timing, so one of the sensors could be bad.  You need to pull codes.  Now when is the last time your heard that on this forum?  Pull codes?????

My Bronco ran like crap.  I didn't have the equipment (breakout box) to test all the circuits for proper voltage so I had to take it to the dealer (I've since bought a break out box).  I suspected the Map sensor...which controls fuel delivery and timing.  Yep, that's what it was.  A little piece of crap sensor that sits against the firewall and costs over $200.  And, the code it was throwing didn't necessarily tell you the Map sensor was bad...it indicated problems at the oxygen sensor.  I've since bought an old ford manual that takes you through the codes and tells you what steps to take and what to measure to isolate the problem.

I'd rather work on my Trans Am anyday!!!

However, my wife has a 2004 Acura TL.  That's a great car.  Hasn't been any problems with it...except recently.  Now the power steering moans when she turns the wheel.  She'll have to take it to a mechanic.....that engine is almost impossible to work on!  There's no room at all and I'm sure lots of the access is from underneath the engine.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:00:29 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
I'll try pulling some codes to get an idea.  I don't know what I'll find as the check engine light isn't on.

I hear what you are saying about no room to work.  Yesterday I replaced the alternator and I had to pull the driver's side CV axle out in order to get to the bolts on the alt.  What a pain!!

So much for the problem being the throttle position sensor, these cars don't have them.  DOH!!!  Thanks for the help guys.  I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.  I'll let you know.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
The service engine light may not stay on.  The engine compensates then the light goes off.  But pull the codes.  That might give you a clue.  Do you have OBD 1 or OBD 2?  You do know how to pull the codes, don't you?  There's two different tests, one with the engine running and one with the key on and the engine not running.

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
Ya I know how to pull them.  I can't remember if its OBD I or II.  Im going to borrow a scanner from a friend of mine and see what happens.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 06:24:15 PM »
it should be OBD I... OBD II didnt start until '96. However some inports did start the OBD II system a little earlier than the US mandated date. But I am oretty certain that the earliest import was '95 and the manufacturer may have been Toyoda.   

Been a while since I was on te service end of the auto industry
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
The wife and I found a better solution.  The Acura along with the '86 S-10 4x4 Blazer that I have been working on are going to both be traded off on a '99 Oldsmobile Alero.  We went looking around for a better car for her to use while I am out of town that can fit her and our 3 girls in it.  We found the Alero at a local independent dealership.  It has 20 inch rims on it, but they are going to stay with the dealer in trade for part of the price being knocked off for us.  They are going to locate a different set of wheels and tires to fit.  We were told that they would give us $1000 trade in on the Acura, which is about $300 more than I paid for it so I'll take it.  The deal is supposed to take place when I get back into town on Friday.  If it goes for sure, I will post some pics of mama's new ride.  No more imports for us!!
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10