Author Topic: I bought a project 1978 TA and what a basket case it is.  (Read 20483 times)

Offline Jaysen

Re: I bought a project 1978 TA and what a basket case it is.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »
Thanks for all the information and pictures.  I'll be sure to post my results when I get these things put together.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
So, I got home Thursday from my long trip.  Today, I went out to the garage and worked on the blue dragon some.  I was curious to see how much of the advice matched up to what I have, since I have a frakenstein engine.  Here's what I found.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
So, had to shrink the pictures to post them.  In the next two pictures, I found a fitting that matched the line and carb on one of the old carbs from the trunk.  So, now I have the brake booster vacuum line hooked up, but it's got a strange u-shape in the end that makes it difficult for the hose.  It's definitely a strange setup, and probably all wrong.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
Here's the current oil pressure sensor that came with the junk yard donor engine.  I can't get a grip on it to remove.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »
Here's the sensor that I found in the parts that were in the trunk.  I'm guessing it came off the original engine.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »
I think this is the transmission mod line.  It doesn't have fittings, I guess you have to use a short rubber line to attach it to the transmission.  I couldn't see the fitting from under the car, and can't find a picture online of any of the fittings.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
Here's the current oil pressure sensor that came with the junk yard donor engine.  I can't get a grip on it to remove.

It's not really that strange. It's used on Chevys and Pontiacs. There's a special socket to fit it, but since you're just getting rid of it, you can use some pliers or vice-grips and grab the big round metal part of it and unscrew it off the engine.
Steve F.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »
Here's the sensor that I found in the parts that were in the trunk.  I'm guessing it came off the original engine.

Yes, that's the kind that the Olds engine uses.
Steve F.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 11:05:54 PM »
I think this is the transmission mod line.  It doesn't have fittings, I guess you have to use a short rubber line to attach it to the transmission.  I couldn't see the fitting from under the car, and can't find a picture online of any of the fittings.

The transmission should have fittings already in it for the cooling lines to screw in to.
Steve F.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
Yeah, I saw the fittings for the cooling lines.  And, I saw where the detent line comes out and runs up to the top of the engine.  However, I didn't see where the transmission modulation vacuum line goes on.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »
Here's the transmission cooling lines.  I didn't figure out exactly how they are routed, but I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »
The Ames studs came in while I was gone.  It's a good thing I'm not a surgeon.  I screwed these bad boys in backwards (thick threads into the water pump is not the right way, doh!) and had to stop myself before I completely ruined my new water pump.  The fine threads go into the water pump, which is counter intuitive because they are too long.  The coarse threads stick out and that's where the nuts bolt on to hold the fan and belt pulley.

Lesson here is that if it takes a ton of pressure and acts like it doesn't want to go, even though it's brand new, you are probably doing something wrong.  Stop, think, don't force it.  I was lucky and was able to back the studs out and put them in the right way.  I'll have to keep my eye on these studs when I get the car running. 

Once I got them going the right way, I used two nuts tightened against each other so I could get the studs all the way in.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 12:14:29 AM »
Yeah, I saw the fittings for the cooling lines.  And, I saw where the detent line comes out and runs up to the top of the engine.  However, I didn't see where the transmission modulation vacuum line goes on.

Steve F.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »
I got the transmission cooling lines forced into place.  Also, I was able to get most of the vacuum lines in.  Still need the one that goes to distributor and Trans.  Also, I put the radiator in place.  I need to locate the right kind of clips for the shroud..  Also, I need a water line to bypass the heater correct.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »
I found a good picture of a complete engine like mine with the AIR smog system.  This one is an Olds 350, but same setup.  It should help with putting the brackets back on my engine.