Author Topic: Why should I not buy this car? Experts pick it apart!! 76 50th Anny.  (Read 5365 times)

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
Re: Why should I not buy this car? Experts pick it apart!! 76 50th Anny.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »
something tells me with all of us questioning it, this one just may be a good car to look at pictures and thats just it. I thought for sure hammer would have had more positives to say since it is what it is. but if even hammer is questioning things, sounds like it is a really good idea to just pass on it.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline shank0668

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
Stan, I posted a wanted ad on pyears for you.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
Stan, I posted a wanted ad on pyears for you.

What is pyears?

stan
76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline shank0668

Offline shank0668

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »
Stan are you interested in a 75 with the original 455 rebuilt for 10.5k.  I pm'd you about it.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
Stan are you interested in a 75 with the original 455 rebuilt for 10.5k.  I pm'd you about it.

Yeah I got it.

Want to stick with the 76 models.

Thanks for the effort!

Stan
76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 10:38:55 AM »
sorry mike. i didnt mean it like that. i mean more your usually very optimistic. that leaned me to the fence on the car is over priced as you are more familiar with their correctness and value that i would be.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline Trevon

• That's not leaking oil, it's marking its territory
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 12:07:46 PM »
Well I bought my T/A almost sight unseen.. Found it on craigslist back home where I was from...although being in the af I couldn't just pack up n drive 1000 miles to look at it.  My parents lived about an hour away from where it was so I talk to the seller a bit and told my father bout it and he didn't really have a problem goin to check it out.  So they did, looked good and checked it out again a week later...next thing you know they went and picked it up for me.  It was in their garage for a month after that before I could come home and see it.  Then 2 weeks after bein home using it as a daily driver and figuring out this things attitude I loaded the trunk with tools, spare parts, hoses, and a couple of jerry cans and made the two day-1000 mile trip back to my home...Not one problem! Pulled over once cause I thought I lost oil pressure but it was just a little warm and all good after 10 minutes.

Point of my story is; I know how expensive it is to ship/trailer cars(at least it would be for me) so if you got someone to check it out it could easily be able to make that trip.

USAF Crew Chief

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
In 2002, I bought a 75 Lemans Sport Coupe from long distance...1850 miles. It's not a very valuable car, but it's a model that I've always liked, and this one had only 62K miles on it. So with the exception of some small defects in the original paint, it still had a "new" look to it, especially the interior. The cool northern temps preserved the vinyl well. It was reasonably priced for the condition. The seller was the second owner, and had all paperwork from day one.
The seller said it could be driven anywhere. I thought to myself that a Pontiac with only 62K miles in 27 years(at that time) is just now broken-in good  :) , and there couldn't be much wrong with the drivetrain with that low mileage. The car looked all original and well-cared-for in the pics, so I took a chance on seeing if it really could be driven anywhere. I sent him a small down payment to hold it until I could fly up a couple weeks later. He was very nice and said he'd refund my down-payment if I didn't like it. All I was risking was the cost of the airplane ride and some time. I flew from Atlanta to Minot, North Dakota, where he met me as the airport. I looked the car over, and it was just like the seller said it was. I was concerned about rust, being from up north, but it had practically no rust. I paid him and we checked all the fluids, including rearend lubricant, and I drove it the 1850 miles back with no trouble. I got to drive through parts of the country I'd never been to before, in an interesting old car which made it more fun. And I stopped to see some friends in NC on the way back. It was a great experience. I've doubled the mileage on it in the 8-1/2 years I've had the car, so it's been a good one.

So, with that 76 TA, you could do the same thing. Fly there and take a look. It looks like it'd make a 900 mile trip to me, as long as the tires are good. Just do a little test drive, and if you like it, buy it, check all fluids, and drive it home. If you don't like the tires, you could get some new ones installed before you leave to go home. But, if not satisfied with the car, fly back home  :) .

Here's one of my favorite pics from my trip. This is at an Inn where I stayed in Hudson, MN:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:30:20 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.