Trans Am Information > Restoration

78 single rear speaker - dealer install for dual speakers

(1/3) > >>

ntgarwood:
Hi all, does anyone have a picture of what it looked like when the dealers would sometimes install a 2nd rear deck speaker in the 78's? I'm curious what the jumper and wiring looked like (did they use the blue/blue or the yellow/brown? How did they jumper it?).

I'm reversing pretty much the only non-original piece of my 78 Y88 which had an aftermarket stereo and rear speakers installed soon after it was purchased by the original owner (my mother in law).  Car only has 32k miles, all original documentation (build sheet, window sticker, temp tag, plate, every receipt for every tank of gas, etc.).

I reinstalled the original delco radio without having to join the cut wires, just reinstalled them in the connectors.  I had the original rear deck grille in perfect shape and put it back in with some older delco 6x9 10 ohm speakers I could get my hands on (although I know they aren't the correct ones for my year, they worked for now with the radio. Just need the fiber box to go over the driver side rear speaker.

Since the deck cover was already cut for a 2nd rear speaker, I'm going to make it look as close to a dealer installed 2nd speaker as possible. I figured that was the best way to retain as much originality as possible. So put an original grille in and make the jumper look as if it did from the dealer.

Please let me know if any of you can help! Thanks!

Jefe:
From what I see in the shop manual, the monaural speaker would have been the right side. It should have dark blue and light blue wires. The left speaker would have had brown and yellow (coming from the deck). Buick simply jumped the left speaker from the right one. Tried to attach a photo. Not sure if it will work or not.

ntgarwood:
Thanks! Although mine is stereo, not mono, the single front and single rear (driver's side) took the 2 stereo channels from what I read.  The dealers would sometimes install the passenger side rear speaker from a jumper.  Your diagram leads me to believe  they used the same dark/light blue wires to jump it.  I wish I could see if they used a connector though to do this or just spliced them so that I do it correctly.

Wallington:
Stereo being front and rear speakers, many prior had dash only speaker so having 2 was big time serious tunes. The install would differ from place to place and probably wouldn't look any different to if you did it now using period correct parts. The most important is to use the stock grille on top.
The stock radios were stamped with wiring arrangement for plugs so you could add options not on your car to get true stereo over 4 speakers, 3 was still more typical. Not all radios had the terminals in place, or the plugs could even have some missing when not required.

Jefe:
interesting. Of course, the diagram sent was only of the rear speaker wiring. I've always understood "stereo" to be separate right and left channels and not simply front and rear.  I guess even an old guy can learn new stuff from time to time! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version