Author Topic: New engine wire harness  (Read 2084 times)

Offline DWills

New engine wire harness
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:57:20 PM »
Has anyone replaced the engine
 wire harness in a 77 TA? Got some really worn wires but when I was looking at it the seems to be some black mastic all over the bulkhead connector at the firewall.  Anyone got a good way to clean this stuff off and get the connections free?
Bing

Offline tata

Re: New engine wire harness
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:44:17 AM »
Does it look like black  3m tar stuff and are you trying to take the  engine bay wire harness box out?

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:46:57 AM »
I'm going to offer up two suggestions that Iv'e learned but not by this web site or TAC.  The attachéd photo is a solvent I came upon after many many many attempts at removing sealant around the doors and trunk to prepare the metal for re-application.  You will hear on this site and TAC's that the 3M remover is the best, however it doesn't come close to this stuff.  The De-solve-it does take some rubbing but it will soften up even the crystalized solvent from 30+ years of aging.  When I was doing my trunk I had to be careful and not let it sit too long in the areas of metal overlap where factory sealant was used between panels.

Now with regard to wiring harness;  I would not use anything other than GXL wiring.  GXL wiring is not petroleum based like the car came with and withstands higher heat, smaller in diameter, and is more flexible.  It was designed for two reasons; first, to actually be laid on the engine and not suffer from the heat, the second for behind dash boards so that in the event of a fire the exterior coating would not melt and drip on a persons legs in the event of a crash.

Often barn finds have been riddled with mice that have eaten the wiring; you won't have that problem when storing your car because the mice cannot survive on GXL wiring because its not petroleum based.

Call the folks at americanautowire.com and confirm what I've stated.  They provide all the sources with automotive wiring harnesses.

Good luck

Dave

Offline DWills

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »
Yes it looks like the tar stuff I am assuming that underneath is a connector that can be disconnected.

I am a little hesitant using solvent on plastic connectors and electrical pieces but thanks for the input on the wire harness.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Are you simply swapping a harness over? If so why trying to clean off the goop? It seals the terminals and comes off complete. Or just individual wires being swapped in the harness connector through the sealant?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:32:16 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline DWills

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Yes my plan was to just change out the harness but the goop covers up everything underneath and I can't see, so I was hoping it was a connector but I was not sure.  So it is one connector for the entire  engine harness and then separate connectors for the AC harness and front lighting harness?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:00:48 PM »
The rear plug that comes through the firewall is the fuse panel. The front that plugs into it is the headlight and wiper harness at the top abd the engine harness below it. They snap together as a single block and bolt through the centre through the firewall. The ac harness is another from a round grommet.

Offline DWills

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »
So once I pull out the center screw it is going to release the 3 or 4 connectors that are part of that bulkhead fitting going into the back of the fuse panel? 

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »
That's right, centre bolt and 2-piece connector block. Should be left and right, not top and bottom as I said earlier, mine has been turned.
Here's some pics from Hoghead's site:

http://firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/harness/harness.htm

Offline DWills

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the info I will be ordering this harness very soon and replacing,  had to replace the starter, battery and battery cables over the past two weeks.  Then I found a bunch of splices tucked into the engine harness.