Author Topic: bumper repaint  (Read 2091 times)

Offline 78 T/A

bumper repaint
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:20:59 PM »
Well, I did my first bonehead thing with my 78 T/A today.  I backed out of my garage and not paying attention, bumped into the corner of my 8 foot wire trailer.  Kicker is, I put it there when I cut the grass!  I smacked my head off of the seat in frustration at my stupidity and got out to inspect the scar.  I had chipped a small section of paint off of the bottom left corner of the bumper along with a small scuff.  I touched it up with some paint.  Most people wouldn't even notice but it's driving me nuts.  
  Being 17 and buying this car 6 months ago, my funds are somewhat limited.  I was wondering if anybody knew (ballpark) how much it would cost to get my entire bumper repainted starlight black?[/u]
78 T/A-W72 400, 4-speed, WS6

13.80 @102.8

Offline steve18in78

bumper boo-boo
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:03:05 AM »
I paint cars...black is a conundrum: it is the cheapest paint to buy, spraying one color versus another is pretty much same-same, but black is picky.  PICKY.  The surface to be painted has to be perfect, or it will show.  Black shows EVERYTHING.  How much it would cost depends on the range of the norm for where you live to paint old musclecars, and which particular shop you take it to in your area.  Also add in the twist that the bumper covers of 78 T/A's were not made of the same material that non-metallic bumpers are made of today.  Even the factory paint only looked good until somebody climbed on the car, or leaned on the car, or looked at the car for too long.  The paint had to have plasticizer added or it would crack and craze even quicker.  Not soliciting your business, but at my shop a rear bumper re-paint with the proper materials would run about $300-400.  But I'm a classic car guy, and I think it's just thievery to charge more to paint a car because it's older or classic.  At my shop, it takes no more work, even if you're starting from scratch on a restored car, because I go to the metal/fiberglas/plastic on EVERY paint job I do.  I personally have never seen a fifteen thousand dollar paint job.  I have seen cars that were painted for fifteen thousand dollars, but they look no better than a car that was properly painted for two thousand dollars, I don't care what ANYONE says.
Shop around.  Stay away from any body shop that rolls as many through as the manufacturer--quantity equals profit but not necessarily quality.  Look for a guy who's been in business for a long time.  Check out cars all over his shop.  If it looks shifty or short-cut, it probably is.
Since it's no insurance job, just tell the guy no look-see, no business.
FYI, my work is guaranteed for three years not to fade, peel, or fall off, as long as the customer follows directions about care and feeding.  Look for a similar guarantee.  A good painter trusts his own work enough for that much.  Hope some of this helps.
quot;Hang on to your a**, Fred"

Offline 78 T/A

bumper repaint
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:54:38 PM »
Thanks alot, I appreciate the info.
78 T/A-W72 400, 4-speed, WS6

13.80 @102.8

Offline ttops

bumper repaint
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 09:51:31 PM »
my 1980 t/a has a spot on the front bumper about 1 inch around were the paint has peeled. its been there since i bought the car a year ago and bugs the crap out of me. anyways, i never went to a body shop to get it quoted because i knew the whole bumper would need to be painted and i had other things to spend my money on. well now that ive done the exhaust and rear leafs i took it to a local shop and they quoted it at $200.
they are also going to adjust my hood, it sits a little high on the rear drivers side.  i thought $200 sounded fair. im familiar with the shop and have seen their work, thats more important than the price.
980 TRANS AM

Offline 79 T-Top Delete SE

paint
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:12:32 PM »
Since your in Pittsburgh I would suggest that you check out Tom at Mckeesport Auto Body, he did mine at a very nice $ and I have had others that took there cars to them..

PM me for additional info.

Mike