Author Topic: trunk springs  (Read 829 times)

Offline wildman

trunk springs
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:59:09 AM »
hey guys. its been awhile since i posted anything. the TA got put on the back burner due to my truck giving up a cylinder head. all is good with my truck now, after a set of newer style heads, lunati cam, cloyes roller chain, and bunch of other stuff i took care of "since i had it apart". so now im back working on the resto of my 77. im focusing on the rear of car at the moment. i got the back glass channel prepped and ready. i was reading some of the other posts on the subject and some of you suggested that "since you got it apart" that it would be a good time to check out the condition of the trunk spring rods. i found one to be broke at end on the bend. that was good advice. my question is, has anybody had any luck welding one of these big rat traps. i consider myself a pretty good welder but wasn't sure if the heat would change the spring tension. i know that depending on the metal and how you cool it down, the metal can become brittle. i figure that it's broke anyway. i can't make it any worse. i thought i would see what input any of you might have on the subject and any other trunk related advice " since i go it apart"

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: trunk springs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
depends on where you are welding on it at, if you cool it too fast yes it will become brittle, but not enough for it to matter, i would say go for it cause as youve said, if it doesnt work, its already broken anyways
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:16:22 PM »
As Evan says, you can try it but be careful with it when you're done.  I say that, not because you might break it, but because of what could happen if it DOES break -- particularly if it goes when you're trying to reinstall it.  Springs are funny things.  Steel springs get their properties because of the way they're made, and how hot they are heated and how quickly they are cooled as all part of that process.  Welding one up kind of screws up those properties, so be careful with it.

shakerz

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:22:28 PM »
im not a shy welder, but would recommend replacing these. they are under a lot of tension and not much steel to weld in the diameter of rod. i just bought a set on ebay for 12 doll. that was said to have held up decklid prior to removal.

steve