Author Topic: Loose wheel center caps. What am I missing?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Wook

• Referrals: 0
Loose wheel center caps. What am I missing?
« on: October 27, 2008, 04:35:22 AM »
Hi,
New here and working on a 79 T/A basket case.  This site has a lot of great information that has already helped me a bunch.  Now for my current dilemna.  I got a set of the replacement style snowflake center caps with the metal retainers from the Hitman.  They look great, but when I install them on the wheel, I have about a 1/16 inch, maybe more play between the cap and the wheel.  When I had the stock caps on they were tight.  Am I missing a gasket or something, or do I have to adjust the metal retainers?  The retainer is inserted into the cap as far as it will go.  It is bottomed out on the hex flats.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Loose wheel center caps. What am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »
I had no problem with those center caps on the rear.  However, on the fronts the grease cap is too large to fit into the hole in the metal retainer center.  I had to grind out the retainer to get the front caps to fit properly.

Offline Wook

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
Damn, I thought for sure someone would have had a similar problem.  The only solution I can think of is to install the caps tight against the wheel, then bend the metal retainer tabs some more so that they lock into the channel tight.

Thanks for the heads up on the front!  I'm still waiting for my tires to arrive before I mount them.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:30:47 PM »
You could bend them like that if you have the wheels off when you install them.  But check those grease caps on the front too for clearance. 

Offline Wook

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »
I think I'll do that before the wheels get heavier with the tires installed just to be sure everything is fitting good.