Author Topic: 1971 trans am restoration  (Read 940 times)

Offline lucyblu71

• my 71 trans am blue on blue project
  • Referrals: 0
1971 trans am restoration
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
hey guys im pretty new to the restoration field so i need some tips.
im in the process of starting a restoration on a 1971 trans am (the real deal)
the original drivetrain is gone but the main issue for me is body work. the car
needs full floors, lower quarters and a tail panel. my question is should i strip the whole
car spray a coat of primer and do the body work over that or do my body work, replacing
panels and all and then strip the car and spray primer?

thanks so much for any advice,

neal

1971 trans am project
1969 SS 396 camaro project
1969 mach 1 project
all in progress lol

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
Re: 1971 trans am restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
Advice is free ... you just have to post pix.  We'd love to see it.

Check this link out ..
http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=6341.0
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline lucyblu71

• my 71 trans am blue on blue project
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
hope this pic works  ???

[attachment deleted by admin over 60 days old]

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
Picture worked ....

I'm not a bodyshop guy.  To me, you'd want to do all your patch panels and welding, get that right first.  You'd knock off the welds, add some filler and go to the next problem area.

I think you want to verify panel alignment, doors, trunks, etc...

To paint, you'd pull everything you could and then carefully reassemble the car after paint.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline bobg

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:46:19 AM »
It really depends on preference, and if the car is in a enclosed garage, and the quality of restoration you plan to do.If the car is not being taken apart, I like to strip the complete car to metal I know what is under the paint hiding. Any surface rust I would remove and treat with a neutralizer such as phosphoric acid or a coating called picklex.I would DA sand the metal with 80grit and then spray a 2 part epoxy paint to seal. Then you can go back and fix all your problem areas. Since you have complete panels that need replacing, you may want to due sections at a time so you don't waste any primer or time on a unrepairable panel. If you are planning on removing doors, fenders, hood,etc, it will take longer, but you will be able to get a better job by finding and repairing any hidden damage. Then you can set the parts on a stand and repair them piece by piece.  As for applying filler over epoxy or not, it is preference. Some feel that it seals the body better under the filler, But I prefer to remove the primer at the problem areas and do the body work and reseal itwith epoxy. There have been tests on filler to bare metal, and filler on epoxy primer, and it is a stronger bond directly to the metal. Once the body is epoxy primed and filler work finished, I would apply a couple coats of filler primer to the car, guide coat and block sand.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:58:39 AM by bobg »
79  TATA 400 W72 4spd
79 gold 400 4spd w72 T top
74 superduty 455 4spd
70 Trans am Ram air 4speed

shakerz

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:40:23 PM »
good procedure posted above. he is right. everyone has their own preference and there is not one hard and fast way about it. sounds to me like you want to do a frame-off or concours resto to this 71 T/A. i would strip down to metal and work out from there trying to restore ur sheetmetal to as straight as possible before filling so that no more then 6-8 pages of paper thickness is used. replacement of severely rusted or damaged panels and metal is sometimes ur best strategy. if ur shop is not too humid or moist then u should not ever get more then a few little surface rust spots on ur bare metal which can be scuffed off w scotchbrite.
steve :D