Author Topic: Hmmm, what's this crumpled up piece of paper I found behind the rear seat back?  (Read 3952 times)

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Referrals: 0
Nice find

Offline T/A Tommy

• T/A
Nice find dude its in great shape!

Tommy

1978 L78 Y88 Gold Edition
1978 L80 Y88 Gold Edition

Offline 78Formula

Yeah great find! Very lucky to have found it in such good condition.

Chase Kelly
1978 W50 Pontiac Firebird Formula with original 305
Gallery: http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/Formula78/
http://www.motortopia.com//78Formula

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
  • Referrals: 1
I found one too...but it wasnt for my trans am.  The vin was like 8 numbers off.
Well at least yours was for a Trans Am. I was talking to Kevin (Anastasiofan92) and he mentioned my build sheet and I said I hadn't found it. He recomended I go look for it and I found it under my front seat. Then, I spent about half an hour putting it back together only to find out it was for a '78 Camaro Z28. How that happened I will never know lol.

Hahahaha that sucks dude. I remember that.

Camaro's and Firebird's came down the same assembly line together. Once the last line worker had used the build sheet to install whatever the last item was, they just stuffed it somewhere inside that car or, if they got distracted or behind, they just stuffed it into another car. I believe once the build sheet had served it's purpose of telling the line workers what parts went on what car, the build sheet was garbage to them so they just stuck it in a car to get rid of it. I've never heard that it was a requirement that it be put in the correct car. As we've seen, if it was a requirement that it be put in the correct car, they screwed up a lot.

Here's a link for Hog heads web site explaining build sheet. Lots a great info here.
http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/bingo/bingostart.htm
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:07:28 AM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Did Rich REALLY find your actual build sheet. That would be incredible. I'd like to hear the story behind that.

At this point, it's a mystery compounded by tragedy.  I have what was left AFTER it was all over, but I haven't had the time or the heart to sit down and put the pieces left together to see if I can get any more clues out of it.  All I know is that Rich spent good money sending it to me and it came to naught (so far).  Incredibly, the sections with the pertinent ID information were all destroyed, but the rest of it appeared (to me in my distraught state) to be an EXACT match with my car.

Right after that went down, my mother got sick and had to have surgery for pancreatic cancer, and then to a rehab facility to recover from the extenisve operation she had.  Between jacking with the doctors and the therapists and the nursing home I haven't had the time yet to get back to it.

The story was reported at the time here on the forum, though -- you couldn't make this stuff up, believe me... ::)

Offline 78ta

Hope your mom is doing well.

I do remember reading the story about the "missing" delivery.

I suppose Rich didn't email you a pic of it when you were talking about it? So do you know if it was a car "like" yours or was it actually the build sheet from your car with your VIN on it?
Randy

Offline 78Formula

I found one too...but it wasnt for my trans am.  The vin was like 8 numbers off.
Well at least yours was for a Trans Am. I was talking to Kevin (Anastasiofan92) and he mentioned my build sheet and I said I hadn't found it. He recomended I go look for it and I found it under my front seat. Then, I spent about half an hour putting it back together only to find out it was for a '78 Camaro Z28. How that happened I will never know lol.

Hahahaha that sucks dude. I remember that.

Camaro's and Firebird's came down the same assembly line together. Once the last line worker had used the build sheet to install whatever the last item was, they just stuffed it somewhere inside that car or, if they got distracted or behind, they just stuffed it into another car. I believe once the build sheet had served it's purpose of telling the line workers what parts went on what car, the build sheet was garbage to them so they just stuck it in a car to get rid of it. I've never heard that it was a requirement that it be put in the correct car. As we've seen, if it was a requirement that it be put in the correct car, they screwed up a lot.

Here's a link for Hog heads web site explaining build sheet. Lots a great info here.
http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/bingo/bingostart.htm

Thanks for the link 78ta. I appreciate the help and information. I do think it would be really cool if I could track down the '78 Camaro Z28 and see if my build sheet ended up in the seat of it but, I know that its probably somewhere in a junkyard or it might not have my build sheet in it either.

And sorry to hear about your mom Rick, I hope she's doing better.

Chase Kelly
1978 W50 Pontiac Firebird Formula with original 305
Gallery: http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/Formula78/
http://www.motortopia.com//78Formula

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Thanks for the well-wishes, guys.  At her age and overall health condition, nothing is certain except for the fact that she's alienated everyone else in her life, so whatever comes up it's getting dumped in my lap to deal with.

Rich verified the VIN before he shipped it, but he didn't scan it because we were concerned that it would get torn up in a scanner.  Nobody thought to have him take a picture of it because it was being treated with such great care.  Then... well, I don't need any more depressing thoughts for the day as I'm heading off to the nursing home here in a few... ::) ::)

Offline 78ta

Rich verified the VIN before he shipped it, but he didn't scan it because we were concerned that it would get torn up in a scanner.  Nobody thought to have him take a picture of it because it was being treated with such great care.  Then... well, I don't need any more depressing thoughts for the day as I'm heading off to the nursing home here in a few... ::) ::)

That's incredibly unfortunate. How the H3ll did Rich wind up with it?
Randy