Author Topic: '78 t/a choke and egr question please help  (Read 1307 times)

Offline chris189

'78 t/a choke and egr question please help
« on: April 13, 2007, 06:41:17 AM »
'78 w72 400 4spd y88.  Engine looks to be original.  I have a wire running to my choke, is this possibly a stock electric heated choke?  When I turn the key on there is definetely 12 or 13 volts going to it.  The exaust heating methed is not hooked up as there looked to be a block off plate where the little heat pipe would come out of the manifold.  The little fitting IS there on my choke housing.  Is this ok or should I look to hook it up with exaust?  If you think you can help I can send some pics as I am having trouble posting pics online here.  Also, the manual shows there should be two pieces to the egr, something to do with backpressure or something????.....All that is on mine is the egr valve itself.  Should I worry?  I just want the car to run great, don't care about emissions.  All other emiisions stuff is intact with what loooks to be the original 17058263 carb.  I want all vacuum hoses hooked the way they should be.  Any help is MUCh appreciated, what would be GREAT would be someone with a W72 to take a picture of the passenger side of the carb and send it to me.  chris189@hotmail.com  THANKS

[attachment deleted by admin older than 90 days]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 06:44:44 AM by chris189 »

Offline pwrcat4000

• Both Birds 2020
    • Mr. Bills Computer Service
My 1978 T/A the only thing that I ever loved that didn't leave me (Yet)

Y88

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: '78 t/a choke and egr question please help
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »
I have a 75 TA, so I don't have pics and such for the 78 -- but I know that they 78 used a hot air choke and the electric choke didn't come along until later (80 or 81).  Somebody has retrofitted one to your engine.

The EGR setup on the 78 used a "Back Pressure Transducer" (BPT) to help smooth out the action and effect of that system.  To get a better description of how it works and should be connected you need to consult the "Engine Emissions" section of the factory service manual.  If you don't already have one you can get one in PDF format on CDROM from Hitman here on 78TA.com.