Author Topic: Service Manual Recommendations  (Read 1709 times)

Offline formula400me

• Referrals: 0
Service Manual Recommendations
« on: April 20, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
There are several service manuals out there for pontiacs.  I've got a '76 Firebird Formula and need a new service manual.  My Haynes has about had it over the years and well.. it wasn't the most descriptive manual to begin with either.  There's Hayne's, Chiltons, and even the CD set available through this website (and i'm sure others).  I'm looking for an overall very detailed service manual.. plus i have a project that I'm about to get into where I am going to rebuild the carb too.  I am just wondering what everyone uses and prefers.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks.

Oh, btw.. I'm new to this forum too.  Looks pretty nice.  Hope everyone is well out there.

Kevin

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
Re: Service Manual Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:58:05 PM »
I have one of the CDs from Brett, the price is great and it is a very complete package. I don't know how it compares to a Chiltons book.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:09:47 PM »
Welcome Kevin!! Let's see some pix when you have time...I've had a few '76's in the past myself.
Haynes are ok, but I would vote for Brett's manuals on CD here...very comprehensive. There is also a great book by Cliff Ruggles available on Amazon for rebuilding your Rochester Quadrajet carb.
Jeff

Projects:

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »
Welcome Kevin, some pics of your rod would be nice.  We love pics!!

Hitman, the owner of this site has some great service manuals.  He'll be along in a jiffy to point them out to ya.
Rich

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33:17 AM »

There is NO substitute for the original GM service manuals. Haynes and Chiltons are way too general, and
usable for tune-up specs at best.
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:44:59 AM »
Well the Hitmans CD's are the actual Gm manuals .
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
Yes, the ones I have are the original GM service manuals.  I agree above that Chilton's and Haynes are too general for the cars.  They are ok for manitenance, but not good for detailed rebuilds and such.  Yes, there are other books out there for certain parts of the car that you can do as well.  The book listed above for the carb, there is a good book out there for rebuilding Pontiac V-8's by Jim Hand.  So, the other books are good for rebuilding and performacne, and the GM manuals are good for maitenance and stock issues.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline formula400me

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  It was a pleasant, even prompt, surprise.  Normally in the past, I've joined several Pontiac forums and it's been  disappointing in all aspects.  Anyways, I've got a set of the restoration manuals on CD on the way to my place now!   So, the least I can do now is post a couple pics of the car.  Check out the TA Photo's forum topics under 1976 Firebird - Formula or visit the following link.  Thanks again.  http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=3262.0