Author Topic: Shaker Height  (Read 4908 times)

Offline LANCER

• Referrals: 0
Shaker Height
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »
Have any of you ever used a  Edelbrock performer manifold and Edelbrock carb combination? I have already purchased these and are about to install them and was wondering will the shaker be to high or to low for the hood.

Offline transamfan

Re: Shaker Height
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 12:32:43 AM »
The performer intake with the stock carb will work fine.  I don't know about a different carb.  If the new carb is taller than the stock one then you may have problems.  Seems like I read somewhere that a different carb (might have even been an Edelbrock) did cause a tighter fit but it was workable.

Final poster of my car, and yes, that's my lady as well.

Offline 1onehotTA

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:47:50 AM »
It will be too high, I tried this with bad results for awhile, im sorta a perfectionist, and could not stand having the shaker so high forcing the hood to not mate perfectly with the fenders when the hood was closed due to the shaker being too tall.  I eventually did metal fabrication to the air cleaner assy. and now it works as stock.  I have a performer manifold, and 650 CFM Edel. carb also, gets good gas mileage, lots of Ummph too, comparable to the tired Q jet on my TA.  Oh yeah I wanted an electric choke, so that was a lot of my problem, if you dont go with electric, and stick to vacuum, you will has less fab. to do to the cleaner assy.  I purchased a older Mustang also, and put a carb on it, I was spoiled by that install, easy as could be, no shaker to mess with.  Whatever you do, dont mount your shaker to the hood, I see them at shows alot, I like the shaker to be well a shaker.  Its cool to open the hood and see a piece of the body under the hood, thats rare with cars nowadays, in this world of corn fuels, and hybrids.  How about a Hybrid TA, I always joke with people and tell them my bright red W72 with that deep bassy, dump truck exhaust sound, and bird on the hood is a HYBRID LOL
A rocket car could make it...............Anyone who knows what movie this line is from has to be from this forum.

Offline LANCER

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 09:13:56 AM »
I am a little confused because. I took a straight edge and put it on the top of the factory carb and the edelbrock carb and measured down to a mounting surface on the intakes mountig side. The measurement was shorter by 5/8 of a inch on the Edelbrock setup compared to the stock set up.

Offline 1onehotTA

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »
Do you have a olds 403 maybe?  Or maybe the intake is higher not the carb, but mine had an electric choke on the new performer carb, that may be the problem I had, that and the fuel line, had to buy that edelbrock 90 deg. elbow for like $50, if only you could see it as it is chrome LOL.  Of course the shaker hides it.
A rocket car could make it...............Anyone who knows what movie this line is from has to be from this forum.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 09:58:22 PM »
ill tell you now its shorter! youll need to run a 1 inch carb spacer..if you look at one of the recent pontiac magazines they did an article about it....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline LANCER

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:01:29 PM »
Do know what magaizine it was in? That would be very usefull.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »
ill get some pictures or scan the pages in for you....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline LANCER

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »
That would be awesome. Thanks

Offline LANCER

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 07:03:02 PM »
What was the name of the magizine and the month it was published?

Offline Joker (告r茺agon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:17:46 PM »
It's in the June '07 issue of HPP.
Larry

Offline LANCER

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »
Can any of you Pontiac fans out there scan me the HPP June article on install of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb and adding of the 1 inch spacer? I checked at our local Magazine stores around here and no one carries that magazine.

Offline Tbird

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »
Can any of you Pontiac fans out there scan me the HPP June article on install of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb and adding of the 1 inch spacer? I checked at our local Magazine stores around here and no one carries that magazine.
Check your local Wal-Mart that is where I find HPP.

Offline Joker (告r茺agon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:04 PM »
Check your local Wal-Mart that is where I find HPP.

That would be fine except they're already at least one issue past that one.
I'll get mine scanned and up by morning.
Larry