Author Topic: Anyone Else Play Guitar?  (Read 7100 times)

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
Anyone Else Play Guitar?
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
Ive had my guitar for a year now, and was making fast progress at first, but I kinda just put it on the back burner. Think i'll start learning again. I know (or knew a few chord progressions, and could play one song) just wondering if anyone else here can play?
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline rpguitarrepair

Re: Anyone Else Play Guitar?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »
Yeah man! Here's a video of my old band from last spring. I'm the dude with the white tele...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKgaGjg35ew

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »
Cool man! Maybe ill be good enough to play in public one day lol
Romney/Ryan 2012

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:19:26 AM »
I've played my whole life, but didn't really get serious until I was in my early 20s (I'm 41 now). Play with as many people as you can that are better than you, and listen and learn from the masters, regardless of style. You can't really hear it in this piece, but my influences are (mainly) Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Don Rich, Jerry Reid, and Brad Paisley. Also, when I was an early teen, I learned just about every AC/DC, Eagles, and KISS song. This helps to develop your rhythm playing, because most singers don't want you soloing over their vocals  ;)

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
Gots ta luv the OLD Fleetwood Mac...  Sounds great!  I like the band name too.

I'm a hobbyist-level picker.  I'm 48, been playing since my 20's - yet I still suck!  I have an American Standard Stratocaster and a Jerry Donahue Telecaster.  Love both of them.

I'm taking lessons again as of recently.  Working on trying to form a classic country band ... cool to see Don Rich and Brad Paisley as some of your influences.  And Jerry Reid... The Snowman was a MONSTER picker!

I'm struggling through "Lonesome Fugitive" (Roy Buchannen version) right now with help from the guy I take lessons from.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:29:24 AM by pancho400cid »
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline oboogie80

• Jeff
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
I been playing a long time. Been in rock bands in my early years. Now I do acoustic solo stuff. I have 2 Martins (1 is a 12 string) and a nylon string electric/acoustic. (That's for my Zac Brown stuff)
say hello to my little friend
!978 Y88  W72   WS6

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »
I wish I would've kept up with it but I've hardly had any free time past school work. Freshman in high school. Busy time
Romney/Ryan 2012

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
Somehow I missed you first post NWW... I thought rpguitarrepair was the OP.

Yeah.... learning the guitar is not easy as you know.  I personally think lessons make you progress faster as they give you a little push so you don't "suck out loud" for next lesson.. 

For years I had a guitar and just noodled around on it without really pushing my self.  Not recommended.  Very little progress in those years.

My two cents would be:

1 - lessons
2 - Keep a guitar out on a stand. When you are just vegging out after a long day, the fact that your guitar
      is in the case in the closet is all the adversity you need for an excuse not to practice.
3 - Any practice helps.  15 minutes a day is 100 times better than nothing.
4 - Everybody is busy.  Odds are you will never have more free time than you do now.
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:09 PM »
Started taking lessons (my choice) in 1st grade and continued lessons on and off through high school while always practicing.  Played on and off most of my life after that. A few years ago my house was robbed and they took the guitars and Marshall stuff.  Everything in the whole house was stolen (and insurance wouldn't cover) so the instruments weren't high on the priority list compared to things like clothes, furniture, refrigerator, lawnmower, etc.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:49:55 AM »
Hey Pancho, you're exactly right about practice time. It becomes harder and harder to practice if you don't at least just try to get in 15 minutes/ day. rpguitarrepair is my side business, as I repair/ refret, etc. guitars at night after dinner. In fact, one of my clients is from Austin; his name is Daniel Carson and he plays for Chris Tomlin. Since I'm not playing out, I just don't practice like I should. You're in a wonderful place to hear live music. My favorite band right now is the Mothertruckers; I think they're out of Austin. Josh Zee is the guitarist and he's a monster.

Our band name was Double Clutch and the Downshifters. The singer is an old friend of mine; we just decided to put something to go out and have fun with. It was fun for a couple of years and then we developed other interests. We played everything from Buck Owens to Bon Jovi, and could usually fill a bar with people. Since I bought this TA, all of my spare time seems to go to laying on my back scraping off undercoating, and spitting Ziebart out of my mouth  ::)

Sorry to hear about your axes getting robbed John, and a Marshall, too? Ugh. I got with my insurance rep a while back with a detailed list of my gear, just to make sure. Of course a mean-looking dog and an active security sign doesn't hurt  ;) Who the heck steals a refrigerator???

Hey oboogie80, Zac's stuff is really big here; he was raised, went to school, and launched his career in the north Atanta area. In fact, he bought my father-n-law's leather shop off of craigslist. My father-n-law answered the phone and the guy said he was Zac Brown, he was like "yeah right". Zac signed an artist named Nic Cowan, and I just refretted his guitar player's guitar about two weeks ago.  They're nice people from what I hear.

Offline deadfish

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:50 AM »
I started when I was 8. My Uncle was the purchasing agent for the guitar shop at Kaman Aircraft (Ovation) and he got me a reconditioned 12 string Balladeer for the price of a set of strings. I took classical lessons for three years and folk lessons for a couple more before my instructer moved away. Then in my early teens, my neighbor was putting a group together to play a folk mass at our local church and my mom "volunteered" me (lol). It turned out to be a good experience, learnig new things like playing with others and in front of a crowd (which really grew!...everybody wanted to go to the "folk Mass"). Anywho...that fell apart when I got out of school and into the National Guard and work and stuff and I just put it away.
Three years ago (I'm now 50) I got an old guitar from a freind at work (called a Kent). Turned out to be a rather well made dreadnought and an easy player. then I bought a Squier Standard Strat and a Line6 amp to goof around with, and finally my uncles daughter gave me another ovation her father had left her (turns out to be a "one-of" prototype) Nothing fancy..but an easier player just the same.
This Christmas, my wife got me set up with an instructor...hell of a nice Christmas gift since she's never really known my passion for playing as a kid. So that's were I am now...struggiling through SRV's version of "hideaway"...which I really dig!

Rick C.

PS...rpguitarrepair...nice chops man.... ;D

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:24:07 AM by deadfish »

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
Thanks Rick!

and great story!

Offline taman76

• Life Abundant Ministries
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »
I have been playing 37 years now and still enjoying every moment.

Dan

My Cars:
76 Trans Am
2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2001 Honda Civic (The wife's)

Offline oboogie80

• Jeff
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »
Hey rpguitar...... I have a friend that did some studio work with Zac some time ago. He used to live in the Atlanta area. He said they were all really great guys and yeah man, Zac is really good. I love his stuff. I'm not much of a country fan but i do a couple country songs in my shows. (just to feed the masses,lol)

NWW- ya gotta find time to practice. I used to fall asleep with my guitar in hand. (sometimes I still do) But I play at least 1 -2 hrs. a day. I make time. But then again, I love my Martins....
say hello to my little friend
!978 Y88  W72   WS6

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I started but stopped, and I want to start up again now that I have alot of spare time.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:55:19 AM by Burd Turd »
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches