Author Topic: wiring a toggle for blower motor  (Read 9245 times)

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
wiring a toggle for blower motor
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:27:46 PM »
Hey guys im sure weve all done this at one time or another, i need to temporally install a toggle switch to run my blower motor so i can have heat. I need to know which wire from the regular harness is the postive and which one is the neg, so it will run on one speed. This summer i will buy the actual switch and replace it but i dont have the money right now to do it. Please help with this issue. Thanks.
4Saken

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Re: wiring a toggle for blower motor
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:26:19 PM »
When you say regular harness, what do you mean?

As far as at the motor itself, black is ground on an AC car, the motor is ground to the firewall on non AC cars. The switch and wire should be 12 gauge. Make sure there is a fuse in there if your bypassing the fusible link.

As for other wire colors, that depends on where and if it has AC wiring or not.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
If you're tapping into the wiring directly to the blower you're going to need a relay. Blower motors pull too many amps to run straight through a toggle without burning something up. But if you're tapping into the wiring in the dash then you'll be ok since that will run through the factory relay.
Larry

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:58:24 PM »
They sell 35 - 50 amp toggle switches, as long as you use a switch appropriate for the amps it should be OK.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.