Author Topic: 78 trans am rear frame rail  (Read 1726 times)

Offline 1stbuild

• Referrals: 0
78 trans am rear frame rail
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:50:14 PM »
I recently picked up a '78 trans am that I chose for my 1st restore. I'm having a problem finding afull rear frame rail. DDose anyone happen to no if they make forms the axle forward price or if the '70-'73 rail will work .I appreciate any feedback or suggestions thank u

Offline Coach Mike

• Bringing this bird back after a long hibernation!
Re: 78 trans am rear frame rail
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »
I recently purchased the partial rails made by Sherman through Rock Auto.  They were a terrible fit and fortunately Rock Auto was good about the return, as one side had been trimmed a little in attempts to make it work.  The rails were too short at the bumper end, the height was wrong, and the hole for the leaf spring bushing was too big, so there was slop in the suspension. Hard to believe that so much was wrong with it - it was the right contour and part number, just not well made in this case.  Not uncommon unfortunately on repro parts as I've found out along the way.

I ended up repairing my originals and that worked pretty well overall.  As most of these guys would tell you, try to find good used parts since they'll fit better and save you troubles when you replace things.

Good luck,

Mike
'78 Formula in Martinique Blue
'95 Coupe in Red
'06 RX8 in Copper Red - only 'cuz they stopped making Firebirds

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
X2 on the "Good used parts" and fitment.   I cut the portions of the frame rails I needed out of donor cars.  An 80 Formula actually and they fit my 76 very well. 

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
have a pair in NJ for pick up only. good originals. entire rail with spring perch.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations