Author Topic: Power window motor replacement  (Read 2585 times)

Offline TimBarb

Power window motor replacement
« on: January 02, 2020, 02:21:52 PM »
Does anyone have a video or ??? On how to remove and replace power window motors on 81 formula? I located one on YouTube, but it was part 2 and I could not find part 1. The YouTube video included instructions that required drilling holes in the door in order to access the motor mounting bolts— Is this the correct method? Thanks!

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Power window motor replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 05:35:48 PM »
The only drilling you'd need to do is removing the rivets holding the motor to the regulator assembly (you can reattach motor using screws/nuts).

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »
I swapped new motors into my doors about 15 years ago.  I can't recall much except replacing the rivets with bolts instead. Turns out, as usual, that the old motors were perfect (and tossed) and that the windows simply needed the standard rewire with relays. Look into that also if you are replacing thew motors due to being slow and weak. Replace any worn out felt guide blocks while at it.

What I'd like to know is what's the easiest/best way of removing an entire window regulator and channel tracks from a door and then reinstall? I have new door glass to install, along with replated channels and new guides etc. Removing them from a parts car is very different to how you may remove if planning on reinstalling for a resto. Can any of it be removed as a complete assembly, or piece by piece?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:40:20 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:41:26 AM »
There is a large enough access hole on the door to remove all of the parts..after you remove the glass from the top.

Time consuming but easy enough. Glass adjustment can be a pain...I think i have a how-to somewhere if anyone needs it.

Cleaning/greasing the tracks and replacing worn out rollers can help with window up/down also.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline TimBarb

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:12:50 AM »
OK—thanks for all the responses. Can you guys send any how to do link or whatever you have regarding the proper method and steps to remove and replace the motors? Also—please forward the diagram and parts specifications for updating the electrical connections to the switches and motors. Thanks to all for your help—great to have a resource that actually has the knowledge to complete the proper repairs and is willing to help all of us rookies! Thanks again.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »

Offline TimBarb

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
Great info on the window power/switch upgrade! Question;—where do you mount/place the 4 relays? I will definitely check all the maintenance items you all have recommended and upgrade the switching before I just remove and replace the motors. Sorry for the multiple questions. Thanks again for the info. Unfortunately the photos included in your 1st response were no longer attached to the post 😕

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »
Yep, they never resubmitted them. Some used the space inside console or behind glovebox.

Offline TimBarb

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 12:22:05 PM »
Thank You!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 12:26:39 AM »
Here's mine, bit messy but did the job - behind the glovebox case.

Power window relays behind glovebox by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Offline TimBarb

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »
Looks good to me. I may have to locate mine in the same location—not sure if it will fit under the 4 speed/ console. Thanks again for your help! I received my relays via UPS today and will be completing this upgrade soon.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 10:02:55 PM »
It wasn't my first choice, or at least the way it was mounted straight into the body. I did half of the electrical and got an electrician to complete and check and doing things neatly weren't a priority even though the cost would make it appear so.