Author Topic: 403 tear down  (Read 446 times)

Offline danielliz

• Referrals: 0
403 tear down
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:58:22 AM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here as im really new here. I have a 1979 Trans Am with a 403 and im getting ready to rebuild it.

For all those to know their way around this engine or are engine builders, what are some things to look out for to make sure the block is okay? Also any tips for visual inspection on the crank and connecting rods as i am planning to reuse those for the rebuild.

Im planning on pulling the engine out either this weekend or next and i am going to start tearing it apart so any tips and advice helps.
Thanks!

Offline Aus78Formula

• Adv. Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 403 tear down
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:48:31 PM »
Many things apply to all engines, may not be apparent until stripped down and heavily cleaned. Keep an eye out for hairline cracks and stripped theads. Once heads are off inspect surfaces and gasket for damage or from coolant and excessive heat. Again, inspect hairline cracks around head bolt holes and coolant ports. With pistons out check to see if any markings to say if oversize to indicate bore and a previous rebuild. Not a bad thing but with a 403  you are limited with bores as to what pistons you can use. Then check the bores for any scratches and grooves, or ridges at the end of each stroke. Measure bores to check also. Cam and crank bearing surfaces to inspect also for discolouration or marks. Many of these you may not reuse but give indication of engine condition prior.