Author Topic: Pulse wiper switch  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Aus78Formula

• Adv. Member
  • Referrals: 0
Pulse wiper switch
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:53:56 AM »
Hi all,
Did cars with pulse wipers also have the special dash switch? Is it possible to use the standard 2 speed switch with a pulse wiper pump set up?
thanks,
Ben

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pulse wiper switch
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:25:37 AM »
It's a special switch.  I think the 78/79 pulse switches are different than the post 78/79 pulse switches too because there are two different motors.  As for a standard switch working with the pulse system, I'm not sure as I've never tried it.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »
I think with enough hacking of the harness you could probably get the standard switch to operate the hi/low/off function of the pulse wiper motor. I know someone rednecked my pulse wipers by using a toggle switch and some 18gauge wire. I have since replaced the GM wiper switch and removed the redneck feature...

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:25:54 PM »
I think you need to find a pulse switch, so you will have adjustability of the variable speed. You wouldn't be able to adjust the speed with a standard switch.
I've bought several pulse switches off of eBay. They appear on there pretty regularly.
Steve F.

Offline Aus78Formula

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies. For some reason my pulse wiper optioned car has standard wiper motor and standard wiper switch which is ok but means there is no provision for a water pump. I'll probably hide a small unit somewhere rather than replace the whole setup.
Ben

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
The pump would be in the windshield washer bottle.  So, if your car really had a pulse wiper you should should have a hanging connector which should be connected to the pump nearby to the wiper motor.  Otherwise, (on on pulse wipers) that harness runs down the drivers side of the inner fender well and connects to the bottom of the washer bottle.  Also, you would have a hanging connector (assuming these were not cut) for the timing circuit.  That harness can comes through the firewall in one of two places, either down by the fuse box or smack dab in the middle of the firewall behind the carburetor. 

Make sense?  If the wiring hasn't been cut, all you need to do is buy an aftermarket pulse wiper motor (available for about $60) and a pulse wiper switch (Ebay for about $20).  Then it's plug and play....very, very easy. 

Conversion to non pulse is easy too....like on your car.  The draw back is when the pump is not attached to the motor but in the washer bottle (pulse units didn't have a pump in the washer bottle).  Whoever did your conversion didn't think through that part of the process and left you without this capability.  You could buy a washer bottle with the pump on ebay and connect it yourself.  The wiring comes through the bulkhead connectors and should be intake on the drivers compartment side.....on the engine side...I'm not sure.

If you need the color of the wires, I'd be happy to get them for you for the washer pump and the timing circuit.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:18:18 AM by ta78w72 »