Author Topic: need help with all dash wireing........  (Read 1339 times)

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
  • Referrals: 0
need help with all dash wireing........
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:27:18 PM »
Hi,,
my car has been  messed with under the dash a bit and i want to tidy up the wires and fix a few cut ones and hanging plug ins. it doesnt look too bad but i need to know what wires are for what...... I do have hitmans compleate resto dvd with the diagrams for it, but seeing as the dvd is soooo large i dont have any clue where to look for such info or even if it shows each connector........

is there anyway to match up the wire or plug (i need to know where to hook it to) up with the part or other plug it goes to. I see on the fbody wire diagrams some items have a number is that number mean anything?? also is there pics of each plug that is under the dash i see alot are different.

also keep in mind my car has had an engine swap from a 305 to a 403 and maybe a stand. to a auto tranny swap (were all canadian 305 1981 ta's 5spd??) cause my can now is an auto.....if so i assume theres left over wires from clutch switches and crap.
'80 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car
'81 Trans Am (Y84 recreation) "SOLD"
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"
'82 Firebird (Trans am clone) "SOLD"
'81 Firebird (1st car) "Wrote off"
'98 Trans Am Ws6 Ram Air "SOLD"

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: need help with all dash wireing........
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »
The wiring diagrams should be under the Service folder and then the Chassis electrical.  Those should be the large colored wiring diagrams for the car. I've got the CD as well for my '75 and that's where they are on my CD.
Rich

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:16:25 PM »
colors?? mmm well i know theres many colors used more then once...but i guess its a start.... heres what im looking at.... i think it may be easyer for me to just take the dash down and look dehind it....
'80 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car
'81 Trans Am (Y84 recreation) "SOLD"
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"
'82 Firebird (Trans am clone) "SOLD"
'81 Firebird (1st car) "Wrote off"
'98 Trans Am Ws6 Ram Air "SOLD"

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 10:22:21 PM »
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »
Get a hard copy of the service manual.  That has color pull outs that are fairly easy to follow.  If you post pictures of the connectors you need to identify I could tell you what they're for.

The clutch safety switch uses a plug in harness to lengthen the IP harness.  You should be able to unplug it...but keep the short piece of harness cause others can use it when they do a swap from auto to manual.  The clutch safety switch (or park, neutral safety switch) has a purple and gray wires...and they're thick.