Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline dblhh

• Referrals: 0
What would you do?
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »
As some of you may know, I have a 1979 (plain Jane) project TA with no engine or transmission that I had been planning to some day restore. It seems to have a solid body with very little rust, if any, other than surface rust.

I recently bought a 1977 Y82 with the numbers-matching W72 block that I would rather restore than the 79. The 77 SE needs floor pans and has rust in some other areas that needs to be fixed. The entire front steering assembly has been dismantled along with the interior, but all the parts came with the car. I could use a lot of parts from the 79 to repair or replace on the 77 SE and I also could use some of the interior parts from the 79 to replace interior parts that aren't quite as good on my other 77 TA, which is a driver.

My question is: Should I try and sell the 79 TA; or, part it out, use what parts I need and can use for both my 77 TAs, and sell the rest?
Personally, I hate the idea of parting out the 79 TA, but I believe it would have a lot more value to me both in parts for my 77 TAs and by selling the rest.
Herrel

77 T/A, W72, auto, black
77 T/A, Y82, W72, auto, project
79 T/A, auto, project
78 T/A, T-tops, WS6, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD
78 T/A, hardtop, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »
You have hit upon the problem that lots of us run into.  I know guys that have parted out good cars.  If you use it for your SE restoration (donor parts) and sell the other stuff to fund the restoration then I think we will keep you within the T/A folds.  Dismantling a good T/A just for profit will get you tarred and feathered in my neck of the woods.  But I know that a SE will live because of it, so I had rather see a common 79 stripped as a SE.  Me personally- I won't strip any car that I have a chance of titling or finding a good home, but that is why I have a field full of decent cars.  They are worth more one piece at a time- and some parts can only be had from donor cars, so if that's what you feel you need to do to get the SE going, I say Go For It. A base 79 roller will not bring you much money, no matter how nice the body is.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:35:41 PM by kentuckyyeti »

Offline 784mula

• Ohio Firebirds
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/784MULA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:49:15 PM »
Well said.

1978 FORMULA 1st place 2007 TA NATS Stk Class
1977 FORMULA (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Helter80

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
hey! i have a regular 79 Trans Am!!! LOL
personally, i would sell it, if the car is that solid of a car for a restoration. the area that i live in, you almost never see 2nd generation T/A's, when you do, they are mint condition which is good because people finally are appreciating these cars. they are not common in general because everyone either wrecked them, or let them rust away beyond repair. i would sell the car to someone. thats how i got mine. my friend was going to junk it, and it needed minor body work and interior work, and a new engine, but it did not need no major body work, no frame damage, nothing that was major. it was a very solid car for a restoration. now that i restored it, its about 95 percent mint condition.
its just my opinion, but its totally up to you.
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »
Basically you have to look at it in a money situation.  Now, I am just going to throw out random numbers to use as examples, so please don't take the numbers I put here seriously... I am just stating what you should consider.  First off, you have to determine the value of the 1979 that you have and what you can sell it for whole.  So, lets say you can sell the car as it sits for $4000.  So, take a look at what you need for the 1977 SE you just got..... lets say you need $4000 in parts that you mentioned above between floor pans and interior parts, etc.  Then you can sell the car "as-is" and get your money to buy brand new parts for the 1977 and let someone else restore the 1979.  So, now look at it another way... Lets say you can take all the parts from the 1979 to put into the 1977SE and you have $1000 worth of parts left over to part out and sell to make money to help fund the 1977 SE project.  So, look at the vlaue of what you have as a whole and what you need for the new project and see which one makes more sense money wise to do.  So, the first thing to do is make a list of exactly what you need for the 1977 SE project and get a $$ amount to go by.  Then that will help you figure out what you need to sell the 1979 for as it sits or to part it out.  I hope I explained this OK.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:30:59 PM »
As some of you may know, I have a 1979 (plain Jane) project TA with no engine or transmission that I had been planning to some day restore. It seems to have a solid body with very little rust, if any, other than surface rust.

I recently bought a 1977 Y82 with the numbers-matching W72 block that I would rather restore than the 79. The 77 SE needs floor pans and has rust in some other areas that needs to be fixed. The entire front steering assembly has been dismantled along with the interior, but all the parts came with the car. I could use a lot of parts from the 79 to repair or replace on the 77 SE and I also could use some of the interior parts from the 79 to replace interior parts that aren't quite as good on my other 77 TA, which is a driver.

My question is: Should I try and sell the 79 TA; or, part it out, use what parts I need and can use for both my 77 TAs, and sell the rest?
Personally, I hate the idea of parting out the 79 TA, but I believe it would have a lot more value to me both in parts for my 77 TAs and by selling the rest.

If I were you, I'd but the 79 on the back burner (and perhaps poach a few parts off of it), but do the 77 and keep the 79. When you get done with the 77, start on the 79, referring back to the list you kept (you're gonna keep a list, aren't you ;)) of the parts you poached. That way you get your cake, and can eat it too. If the missus gives you static about both cars, tell her that the 79 is hers, and you're doing it next.

Problem solved

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »
I would keep both cars. wish i was in your shoes.
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.

Offline dblhh

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:46:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, but ya'll really didn't help make this decision any easier. :-\ :-\ :D

Seriously, though, I'm not going to rush into anything and I'll give it some long, serious thought before doing anything with the 79 TA.

As some suggested, I would really like to just put it on the back burner for later on, but I don't think my wife will allow it to set very long without something being done. And the thought of owning a TA is not an enticement for her. She likes to ride in them and even sometimes drive them, but she couldn't care less about having one of her own. :o :D ;D
Herrel

77 T/A, W72, auto, black
79 T/A, auto, project

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, but ya'll really didn't help make this decision any easier. :-\ :-\ :D

Seriously, though, I'm not going to rush into anything and I'll give it some long, serious thought before doing anything with the 79 TA.

As some suggested, I would really like to just put it on the back burner for later on, but I don't think my wife will allow it to set very long without something being done. And the thought of owning a TA is not an enticement for her. She likes to ride in them and even sometimes drive them, but she couldn't care less about having one of her own. :o :D ;D

Two words:

GOT KIDS? ;D

Gunner

Offline dblhh

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:00:04 PM »
Two words:

GOT KIDS? ;D

Gunner

Yes, I have four -- two boys and two girls -- but they're all grown and none are into cars other than as a means of transportation. ???

But, I do have a six-year-old grandson who is going to be a car guy. The first time he saw my 77 TA driver, he almost freaked out. So, maybe there is my answer.  ;D Thanks. 8)
Herrel

77 T/A, W72, auto, black
79 T/A, auto, project

Offline RPO_Z06

• '76 455/4-Speed
    • My Trans Am photo album
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:26:18 PM »
If the body on the '79 is really that good it would be a shame to part it, too many of these cars end up like that.
I'd keep it for a later project or sell it to someone who wants a project.
Jamie
'76 Golden rod yellow/Deluxe buckskin, factory 455 4-speed.
'01 Speedway white Z06/mod-red, LS6 6-speed. (493 rwhp)
*My pictures*
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/RPO_Z06/

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »
Two words:

GOT KIDS? ;D

Gunner

Yes, I have four -- two boys and two girls -- but they're all grown and none are into cars other than as a means of transportation. ???

But, I do have a six-year-old grandson who is going to be a car guy. The first time he saw my 77 TA driver, he almost freaked out. So, maybe there is my answer.  ;D Thanks. 8)

There ya go. A PERFECT high school graduation present for a six year old ;D

Gunner