Author Topic: Anyone into muzzleloaders, black powder?  (Read 12363 times)

Offline TAvsGN

Anyone into muzzleloaders, black powder?
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »
After my dad passed, I acquired all of his firearms and a nice gun safe.  Nice collection, some I didn't know he had.  Three of them are muzzleloader rifles.  One is a Jukar 45cal, older kit gun I believe.  Next is a TC Thunderhawk 50cal inline with a scope.  Third is a TC 54cal with a scope.  I know nothing about these and never got into them when we were hunting.  If memory serves, I fired the 45cal once.  Just curious if anyone else is into this stuff and can give me advice on what I have.  Don't know if I am going to keep these or not.  Keeping the rest though.  My favorite is the Ruger SuperRedHawk 44, 9in barrel.  What a hand cannon!!!!
78 Formula
98 Trans Am
77 Grand Prix SJ
87 Grand National

The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
Re: Anyone into muzzleloaders, black powder?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »
I would like to see what you have.   I have a friend that is a gun nut. I could send him pics of what you have.

a hand cannon ?   you have a pepperbox?  cool..
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Trevon

• That's not leaking oil, it's marking its territory
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:36:42 AM »
I shoot quite a bit...or did last year, but I just don't have the patience for muzzleloading (well, never really tried it).  If you have the patiend and the money for it, it would be interesting to get into for sure.

USAF Crew Chief

Offline whitetaildreamer

• Stephen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:54 AM »
Muzzel loading is one of my passions.  Incredible knock down power.  .45 cal is usually the smallest cal. that can be used for ML hunting of whitetails.  If it is an older model it is most likely a sidelock with the hammer on the outside that strikes a #11 percussion cap.  The TC's are very nice guns and lots of hunters use them.  The .50 cal. is the most common for whitetail.  I know some hunters that use the .54 cal for moose and elk and in my opinion, just to big for whitetail deer though some use it.  You just make sure you make your shot in the lungs or there won't be much useable meat left.  As to the Ruger SRH 44.  Used to have one myself and loved shooting it just as the sun was going down and loved to see that 4 foot flame blowing out the end of the barrel.  It definitely is a hand cannon.  I've switched from the SRH to a Smith & Wesson model 66 stainless .357 with an eight in. barrel.  Can now put alot more rounds down range with out the wrist ache that I got from the .44.  Both though are hand cannons and great for home defence.  If an intruder was looking down one of those massisve handgun barrels, I'm sure that they would be backing out slowly shortly after pooping their pants.  I've got quite a collection of firearms and hand load all my ammunition for everything I shoot (except for the rim fire .22 LR cal).  If you would like some further info on what you have then PM me with your questions and I will try to assist if I can.  All my best.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:07:59 AM by whitetaildreamer »

Offline TAvsGN

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:37 AM »
Well, looks like bad news.  Since I have no clue like I said about muzzleloaders, I took them to a friend at work that shots them.  Wanted to have them checked out and get his opinion too.  He didn't really want to mess with the 45 or the 50.  He volunteered to take the 54 and clean it up for me.  He called me last night and said he gave it his best effort, but the barrell is a complete mess.  Said that he got the brush stuck in it twice because of all the rust and corrosion.  He did give me the name of a somewhat local shop that specializes in primitive type weapons.  Might try and take it there, hope its not a lost cause.  I thought the 54 was the best out of the three.  I got brave and figured out how to take the other two apart.  Didn't do the greatest job, but I think I got the 50 decently clean.  Have yet to do the 45.  The 45 does have the sidelock hammer.  I will try and get some pics up when I can.
78 Formula
98 Trans Am
77 Grand Prix SJ
87 Grand National

Offline Trevon

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
That's a shame.  Gunsmiths are usually extremely expensive (at least I think so) because it is a dying art, too; its worth a shot.  But you can mess with firearms quite a bit, the more you do the easier they come apart and together, the learning curve is not too great.  Just think of the operation of a firearm; all it really has is barrel, stock and action and most are meant to come apart quite quick (at least for field stripping) in case of jams and what not.  They don't require tools, or very little, and most allow you to use other parts of the firearm to tear down and build up.  I don't know if it is that you haven't shot much before, or just are not familiar with these older firearms; this post may seem like I am going all over the place (sorry) but the point I am trying to make is just take some time to familiarize yourself with this stuff and I am sure you will come to enjoy it.

I don't have the resources to load my own as whitetail does but still love shooting.  Do quite a bit of trap shooting and target shooting anywhere from 100- ~450 yards (1000 is a dream).  But I have 1 Mosin-Nagant, soon to be two hopefully, the Benelli MR1 - .223, a Benelli Supernova 12 gauge, a 7mm Rem. Mag for hunting, and a Smith & Wesson M&P40 for concealed carry.

USAF Crew Chief

Offline TAvsGN

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
I love shooting, just never got into the blackpowder stuff.  Right now, along with what is already mentioned, I have a S&W 38 special, two Mossberg 12ga, a Remington 1100 12ga, a Marlin 22 rifle, and a Glock 17 9mm and a Colt M16A1 (last two for work).  I also have my first gun that I learned to hunt with, a single shot 20ga shotgun.  Just can't get out like I would want to though.
78 Formula
98 Trans Am
77 Grand Prix SJ
87 Grand National

Offline Trevon

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
Ah, ok.  I came from a city and never shot much at all really, and now that I am where I am, when I go "home" no one really knows anything about firearms.  And even fewer people believe I can have a CCW at 19 :P haha   I had a thread about shooting on here a while back and didn't get too many responses.  My trips to the range have definitely decreased since I concentrate on my car, would rather put money into that than just bullets.

USAF Crew Chief

Offline whitetaildreamer

• Stephen
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:39:38 AM »
here's something about cleaning the black powder rifles.  I will deal with the .45 second.  I wish I would have know you were going to take them into a gunsmith for I could have given you some pointers before you did.  First, get the gun back from the gunsmith and you can do it yourself.  All ML's use pyrodex, or 777 or other blackpowder replacements (haven't seen anyone use black powder for years because it is so dirty and a very unstable powder).  All you need is a bathtub of some very hot water and some dish soap.  The absolute (and nothing that comes close) to cleaning out ML's is hot water and dishsoap.  For your inlines, take out the breach plug in each of the TC's.  Fill your bathtub about 4 inches deep with as much very hot water as possible (even if you add some boiling water from a large pot) just to make sure.  Stir in some dish soap, even put it in when the water is running to get your sudds up.  Swish the water back and forth in the barrels and then let them sit for a while.  Never start your cleaning with a brush when it comes to ML's (that's the gunsmith's mistake).  Use the cleaning patch attachment and run it back and forth through the barrel.  In a very small time the water in your bathtub will be black and it will smell like an egg fart (best way to discribe it).  For the brush that is stuck, after soaking for a while, gently tap it right through the breach plug hole.  If your barrels are real dirty and rusted up use a .50 cal brush for the .54 cal, .45 cal brush for the .50 cal.  This process might take you a few repeats but the powder for these guns is very water soluable and will definitely clean up with soap and hot water.  In a short time check the barrel by holding it up to a light.  Once you have most of the gunk out then you can start to clean with the right cal brush.  For the inlines, start by pushing the brush right through the gun (do not try to work back and forth yet or you will get it stuck just like the gunsmith that didn't know what he was doing).  Once you can start to push through with some ease then try to work it back and forth.  Spray some WD40 on the copper brush to help with this process.  Don't worry if you can't get all the rust out, there is a very quick solution for that. After this process, wash out once again with hot water and dish soap.  All you are looking to get is the ability to slide a bullet down the barrel.  After cleaning this time, role up about a half of a paper towel and send down the barrel to clean and dry out the barrel.  You will have to do this a few times and will be amazed how black the paper towel will get.  The reason why I use a paper towel is that if it ever get stuck you can use a soddering torch to set it on fire and it will easily come out (only had to do this couple of times).  Put the inlines back together and make sure your breach plug is in there good and tight.  slide down 2-50gr. pyrodex pellets and then your sabot and bullet.  If you are still worried that the bullet will not go down smoothly then just use some bore butter on the sabot and you will have no problem.  Fire off a couple of rounds and then clean again the same way.  You will be pleasently surprized how clean your barrels will be.  If you are not going to use the ML's for a while then take some good gun lube (comes in spray can and will have a rust inhibitor in it (problem with pyrodes is that it sucks in the water out of the air and that is why your barrels have gotten so dirty.  They were stored before they were cleaned out.)  Once the inlines are back together give then a quick overall spray with the gun oil and wipe them down for they will be ready for the gun safe. (it helps if you have one of those humidity bags at the bottem of your gun safe.  Never ever keep a gun in it's travelling case, they will rust up for sure.  The .45 being a side lock will be a little different for you can not push through our cleaning rod.  Take off our primer nipple and place it in a cup of boiling water and leave for now.  Once again use the soft swap to work the barrel.  Fill your sink with the hot water soap mixture.  Place the barrel so that the hole where the nipple was is under water.  Work the swab up and down the barrel and the water will be sucked up the barrel like with a plunger.  You will know you are doing it right when the barrel is getting hot in your hands.  You can then use a .40 cal brush to do your initial scraping (keep the nipple hole under the water during this process.  You will prob have to change the water a few times depending on how dirty your barrel is.  After the scraping go back to using the soft swab (do not use the .45 cal brush for this cleaning.)  Use a jag where you can use cloth to dry out the barrel (You can even use an air hose to make sure it is dry.)  Clean off your nipple with your wire brush and make sure you hold it up to the light to make sure you have a clean fire hole (I even blow through the nipple to make sure there is no water in there.  Put nipple back in.  Load up with only 1-50gr pyrodex pellet and load up your sabots same as for the inlines.  A couple of rounds through the gun will clean her right out.  After shooting, reclean and dry the gun the same way and once again give a light swab down the barrel with the gun loob (not too much).  Spray and wipe down the outside of the gun and you are good to go. 
This process will definitely save your firearms and put them back into working order.  Been working with ML's for over 30 years and have never lost one yet.  Too many people get the news from a gunsmith that their gun is done when a good cleaning is all that it needs.  It takes some time but once done this time regular maintanance will be a breaze.  Let me know how it works for you.  All my best.

Offline TAvsGN

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »
Thanks for the process.  The guy I gave the 54 to wasn't a gunsmith, he is just someone at work that shots muzzleloaders.  He did tell me about using a smaller brush than the actual caliber, think he just didn't have the right stuff though.
78 Formula
98 Trans Am
77 Grand Prix SJ
87 Grand National

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:03:13 PM »
I have seen a barrel absolutely ruined (pitted beyond belief) and seen more than one nipple that broke off from corrosion when trying to remove them.  These guns need to be cleaned soon after firing, and not put up dirty.  I do traditional muzzleloading (deer in Ky and elk in Colorado).  I usually use FFFg powder but sometimes use real black powder, which is getting harder to find.  I use 50 caliber sidelock percussions and one flintlock for my BP rifles and shoot handcast round balls.  I've never used pellets, speed-loaders, bullets or an inline.  Nothing against them.  I just figure when I use BP, I want the traditional experience.

Offline krackerjack9

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 01:12:45 AM »
Making black powder is not that hard, making quality powder that's a different story, 90% of it is your Charcoal. The kno3 and sulfur is the easy part, mixing is usually done by a ball mill.  Good black powder 15 grams can send a baseball up 300ft or so really good black powder made with balsa 15 grams is all most to much and 500 to 600ft is really really easy to obtain. Only about 8yrs ago 50lbs of Kno3 would set you back $18.00 now its 50.00 if you can find someone to buy it from.

Offline oscardeuce

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 11:30:54 PM »
My .45 flintlock, or at least part of it.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:34:13 PM by oscardeuce »

Offline taman76

• Life Abundant Ministries
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 06:59:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about your loss.  I too just lost my father and now received his gun collection which also included many that are black powder.  Which I enjoy shooting by the way.

Dan

My Cars:
76 Trans Am
2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2001 Honda Civic (The wife's)

Offline cmk-2

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 10:04:59 PM »
Hey oscardeuce,

looks like an FMS 1400mm F4U-4 in the back ground. Have you tried the 1700mm FMS F4U?