Author Topic: power window regulators  (Read 6304 times)

Offline polecat

power window regulators
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:10:18 PM »
i have a 1979 trans am and i want to install power windows i need the window regulators can anybody help

Offline stwrangler

power window regulators
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »
I just pulled all the power window stuff out of my 79 formula,what part  exactly do you need, I'm not putting windows back in.
need automotives anonymous but I'm not looking for it.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
power window regulators
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:24:20 PM »
Polecat,
You need everything stwrangler pulled out of his car.  The regulators with the motors, the door boots, the console switch, the harness from the console to the dash, the relay, the power harness, the harness from the motor that goes  through the boots...etc.  A whole lot of wire.  Check the service manual.  There's a really nice wiring diagram that lists everything required.

Offline polecat

power window regulators
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:18:43 PM »
i need every thing like ta78w72 said

Offline polecat

power window regulators
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 11:50:14 PM »
hey ta78w72 where do i find that diagram of all the parts i need i have the parts cd i bought from hitman i dont see it

Offline stwrangler

power window regulators
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:32:36 AM »
I haven't pulled the wire out but I will get it all this weekend, I will have everything  but the door boots I'm going to still need them. I think 100.00 plus shipping  sounds fair. If that works for you give me your zip and I'll find out the shipping.                 Robert

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
power window regulators
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 10:42:10 AM »
Polecat,
It's in the back of the service manual under accessories section 9-97, or page 1389 (I'm quoting the 1978 manual).

Also, in an other post, heed the advice of the poster and run a ground wire from one of the motor fasteners through the boot and into the under dash, then find a suitable place to fasten the wire for ground.

I'll check to see if I have any spare boots...I might but if I do, they have the wires to the motor included.

stwrangler, be careful when pulling the wires out of the boot.  It's very tight and you'll pull the connectors off.  Polecat, you might have to find those wires and boots together on a ebay auction.  They're very hard to get out of the boot without damage.

Also, Polecat, I copied a thread on how to install the power window regulators on a non power window door from the TAC forum...before it crashed.  PM me your email address if you want that document.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
power window regulators
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »
Polecat,

If you have the parts catalog, look at the 1976-81 Parts Catalog, section 10, page 84.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline stwrangler

power window regulators
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »
ta78w72  good head's up on the boot and wire I have never tried to remove just the wire, I guess I'ed have the boot's with the wire.  I'll find some other boots for  the audio & latch wires in mine.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
power window regulators
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
stwrangler,
You could take the connector off before you pull it through the boot....but it's a tight fit.

polecat,
Here's a link from Joe Bays.  He knows the electrical stuff on these cars like no one else.  He has pictures of the power window harnesses.

http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/powerwindows/power.htm

Offline polecat

power window regulators
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:09:13 PM »
stwrangler do the motors work and hear is my zip 11219 are the boots included with the wires

Offline polecat

power window regulators
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 10:11:02 PM »
hitman i have your pontiac firebird trans am restoration manual on cd

Offline stwrangler

power window regulators
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 11:00:08 PM »
Hi polecat, Yes the windows worked and the boots will be with the wire still in them. I would get new switchs because the windows were a little slow and sometimes I had to push the switch a few time to get the window moving.It's a common problem when this type of window setup gets old. I'll get the shipping tomorrow.

Offline polecat

power window regulators
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 12:40:50 AM »
thanks alot stwrangler will you include relays and the console switch

Offline stwrangler

power window regulators
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 07:13:04 AM »
good morning, yes anything the window wire's are hooked to I will send.I may have a extra console switch in the attic if so it too.