Author Topic: 1977 t/a diamond in the rough  (Read 19628 times)

Offline whitetaildreamer

• Stephen
Re: 1977 t/a diamond in the rough
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
Nice set up to work underneath.  I think my back just got a little more sore thinking how I'll be rolling under mine this afternoon.  Love your pics.

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »
Gotta couple of questions for you guys. First off my frame is ready for assembly except for my lower control arms I used a press to get the bushings out but the outter sleeves stayed in the control arms and I can't get them out any ideas? Secondly I was wondering sense this is going to be a driver and I need a solid durable coating under the body. Should I use undercoating, or por-15 the bottom then top coat it with primer and stock red color? If I did that route the por-15 would give it a strong barrier if the red chips from road debrie.
Thanks for all your help,
Josh
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »
well for the bushing sleeve, take a sawzaw and cut a slit into the bushing, then it should allow it to collapse, then comes right out, as for your bottom side, well if you are going for a factory look but want a driver then yes id go with route number 2, if you are just wanting a good driver that doesnt have to match the factory stuff, then go with option number 1.......
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »
Eroc thanks for the advice the sawzaw workded beautiful. I am taking time off next week to get some work done on my baby. This site keeps me movitated, but driving my truck today I passed a fire engine red 79 ta and man did that get my butt in gear. I will post pics through the week.

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2011, 06:04:57 AM »
need some opinions I am looking at my different options and I am wondering. Should I use poly body mount bushings or rubber?????

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2011, 06:07:19 AM »
Or even Aluminum. What are the advantages or poly or Aluminum? I thought rubber has lasted this long why not go with that, but I hear these cars ride better with poly is that true?
Thanks,
Josh

Offline Trevon

• That's not leaking oil, it's marking its territory
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
I have always heard the poly bushings are the best you can buy for other vehicles, I'm not sure if that just goes along with older T/A's but everyone around me that upgrades there cars n trucks go to poly.

USAF Crew Chief

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2011, 03:47:44 AM »
Thanks for the info Trevon, I am going to use rubber sway bar links, and control arm bushings. I will use poly for the sway bar bracket bushings and sub frame mounts. I read on TAC that poly mounts stiffin up the ride quite a bit. Now for some updates for you guys.

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2011, 05:53:08 AM »
Well guys I am sorry but my computer with the program to shrink pictures is my work one, and I can't do more then 5 a month on photobucket (at least thats what they tell me) so I may have to wait on pics till I get back to work monday night unless someone knows of a free program or a site I can use......maybe my facebook???

Offline Trevon

• That's not leaking oil, it's marking its territory
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:37 AM »
I am a premium member of www.flickr.com but you can sign up to be a basic member for free, the only real difference is you don't get to track the statistics on each of your photos (view counts and so on..)  I highly recommend.  Just upload a pic, select actions (above the photo) and find the option for message boards (or something similar) and C&P the BB Code.

USAF Crew Chief

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2011, 02:36:08 AM »
Found this hiding in my drivers side mirror

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2011, 02:39:53 AM »
Got a top coat on my frame, upper control arms, and my rods for the control arms. Almost ready to rebuild it. ( I know I have been saying that for awhile)

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2011, 02:51:25 AM »
Found some rust on the piece that goes under my rocker cover (the one that says body by fisher) so I decided to tear apart the interior and see what I found... Not much except a 1972 silver dollar and a key to the doors of my car. Oh well guess it didn't hurt to check just one more small set back.
the rusted cover

The rest of my floors

and my roof

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »
Hey guys haven't got much done lately due to crappy work hours, and family issues beyond my control. I did get my springs done and now I just need to get some interior frame coating from Eastwood and I can put my frame back together. I got all of the seam sealer off from the interior and I was wondering. Do I need to take the pans and everything down to bare metal or can I just clean up the rusted spots scuff up the current paint and shoot it?
Thanks for the help,
Josh

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »
Gotta love nice clean floors, everything up here in canada is pretty much rotten.  Keep up the progress.  Every little bit helps.
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic