Author Topic: There IS Hope - 2011 Trans Am  (Read 30361 times)

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
Re: There IS Hope - 2011 Trans Am
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »
I am very pleased with the fact that there will be no restart to T/A production. GM retro cars look like 19.99 Ronco late-nite infomercial CRAP! GTO and Camaro make me wanna ralph. What about those cars says anything about where they came from? I really don't care about Camaro but GM should be shot for what they did to the GTO legend. Now it is just another modern, nameless piece of sh*t...IMVHO. I like the lines of the  Challenger: top of fenders and nose says old school and it marries modern nicely overall.
http://www.dragsource.com/articles/2009challenger.jpg
 Mustang honored it's fathers.
Just glad that I won't be goin postal over the T/A anytime soon.  :)

spirited effort, dont like rounded front of hood:
http://images.cardomain.com/sites/cardomain/features/john/trans-am.jpg

steve

Well...............I don't know about the GM Restocars looking like crap, but I WOULD agree with the REST of your statement.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

shakerz

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
ty Gunner and so i must agree with u regarding 'better living thru superior firepower' This country is a testament to that axiom!  ;D

steve

this is how i wanna drive when i grow up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywf29EF_0yI
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:28:15 AM by shakerz »

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »

I really don't care about Camaro but GM should be shot for what they did to the GTO legend. Now it is just another modern, nameless piece of sh*t...IMVHO. 

Yeah but that 2004 GT0 (350 hp) and 2005-6 GTO (400 hp) would out run many a Trans Am on this board.  ;)  I think the car looked somewhat decent once the scoops were added in 2005; I think color plays a big role in how the cars look.
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
They look like ricers to me.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »
I dunno -- I saw one that looked like roasted to me... :-\

Offline MrAFX

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Burgundy 81 Turbo
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 08:54:47 AM »
at the right price, i will buy one of those LS2 GTO's now. Remmber, even the 55, 56, 57 chevy, 55-57 ford t-bird, mopar performance cars from the 60's and shelbys just were not that popular when they were new either, but look at em know!

I kinda like the GTO especially with the twin scoops added. The GTO crowd should be ashamed in my opinion. GM brought back a name plate, it had the power, it was a two door (kinda important i think as four doors don't really make a performance car) and they just bashed it from the day of announcement till it's death. Basically, think about this, GM brought out a sedan that could kick a mustang gt's butt all day long, long before anyone else was making 400 hp from the factory some what affordably. Mopar and Ford really just caught up this year, the ford isn't even remotely affordable and the dodge is at the extreme top end of affordability, with out the dealer additional mark up. THAT GTO IS GONNA BE A VERY DESIREABLE CAR 20 YRS, MAYBE ONLY 10 FROM NOW.  sooryy about all caps, hit the caps lock by mistake
Sold -1979 Mayan Red TA 400/4
Sold- 1980 Black TTA SE

Offline blue81ta

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 10:07:05 AM »
IMHO you cannot hope to sell  cars based totally on power. For most people it has to be styling and power, at least with high performance cars. For example, the Camaro and Firebird. You can get a lot of horsepower from both but the people who buy Firebirds like the more aggressive styling over the Camaro. I've heard so many people say they don't like the looks of the new Camaro. I've never heard anyone say they didn't care about the looks as long as it has a lot of power. The styling of a car is very important, that's why car makers spend so much time, money and effort trying to design cars that are appealing to the public's eye. IMHO sometimes they fail...like the new GTO.

Yes the GTO has the 400hp LS2... BUT the styling of the car just turned most people off.   If you're going to bring back a "legend" like the GTO, it must look better than an overgrown Cavalier with a Grand Am nose on it. Come up with a fresh new design or update an old design like Ford and Chrysler did. You can put a LS2 in the new GTO, a Pacer, a Gremlin or a Pinto.........

I  still wouldn't buy one.
Keith
1981 Trans Am

My safe haven from all of life's bs

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 12:52:19 PM »

I kinda like the GTO especially with the twin scoops added. The GTO crowd should be ashamed in my opinion. GM brought back a name plate, it had the power, it was a two door (kinda important i think as four doors don't really make a performance car) and they just bashed it from the day of announcement till it's death. Basically, think about this, GM brought out a sedan that could kick a mustang gt's butt all day long, long before anyone else was making 400 hp from the factory some what affordably. Mopar and Ford really just caught up this year, the ford isn't even remotely affordable and the dodge is at the extreme top end of affordability, with out the dealer additional mark up. THAT GTO IS GONNA BE A VERY DESIREABLE CAR 20 YRS, MAYBE ONLY 10 FROM NOW.  sooryy about all caps, hit the caps lock by mistake. 

I agree with you and disagree.

Where I agree is on the future collectibility of the revised GTO and the performance of the car; the 2004-2006 GTO was the best off-the-showroom floor performing GTO made.

Where I disagree with you is on the affordability aspect (depending on your perspective and paycheck).  I couldn't afford the GTO when it was being produced, can't afford the new Challenger and won't be able to afford the new Camaro.  However, Ford has done right by the Mustang and that is why it survived and continues to thrive.  I can get a 300 horsepower Mustang GT for right around $26K and maybe cheaper if I can deal or catch a rebate; the GTO was a $33K and higher car......Pontiac wanted to compete with the BMW crowd and did not care about making it affordable.

The domestic manufactures no longer produce affordable performance cars and that at least somewhat contributes to their decline in market share.  Sure, they've brought back 400 horsepower but how many can actually get it?  Not me.  That's not the way it was "back in the day."

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 01:21:27 PM »
Given what Pontiac did to the GTO if they do bring back the TA it will look like a G6 with a screamin chicken on top !!
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »
Or maybe they will sub the design job out to the people who came up with the Challenger!!! (Yeah, fat chance)
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline 78&89TA

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 02:49:45 PM »
I really like the way this one looks  :)  I would love to have this car  :D

Jim
1978 T/A
1989 GTA

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »

I really like the way this one looks  :)  I would love to have this car  :D

That would sell and probably sell well!

Offline crazy2

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 02:01:25 AM »
looks ok but could be so much better-
top is too low- looks like a mustang or something still
wheels are too big
nose comes to a point- -a lil too pointed,and the trunk space isnt big enough- (proportionately that is)
rear quarter is too square- like a chally or somethin
no t top!!
no convertible!
im scared to think about the inside-- is kit in there?-lol
i like the hood,and bird, but where is the 5 th gen RAM AIR HOOD ! ?
nose kinda reminds me a of a sunfire

Offline MrAFX

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Burgundy 81 Turbo
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 07:22:28 AM »
ok guys, here is the deal, the real deal  ::). look closely at the pictures of the car originally posted. it's a corvette. :o

now go look up the 2009 ZR1 just unveiled at Carlisle this past weekend.  8)

See the shaker opening on the 2009 ZR1 shown. ;)

Look at the 98-02 style lower front fender heat extractors.

Our car will be the new vette morphed into a TA 2 seater called Banshee.  ;) 

and ya'll just thought i was crazy with my earlier post!!!!  ;D
Sold -1979 Mayan Red TA 400/4
Sold- 1980 Black TTA SE

Offline Martin

New Trans Am.......
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »
I was at a local show last week....A local dealer had a display set-up featuring the new G-8.
My wife asked me what kind of car was it...I explained that's the new Pontiac offering and
I went on to mention that they were also going to be selling the G8/El Camino...at that, the
dealer overheard me and started to tout the G8/El Camino as a very nice car/truck?....
So I said to him  that instead of making that .....They would be better served
bringing back the Trans Am and asked him which would you rather be selling
He and his colleages just looked at me and said nothing.. The Silence spoke volumes.....
This all happened in front of other people.....so funny and sad at the same time
 ::) :P ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:36:45 PM by Martin »