Author Topic: pontiac transam/fbird why do you care about these cars so much  (Read 30984 times)

Offline 78TADude

Re: pontiac transam/fbird why do you care about these cars so much
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 01:30:33 AM »
It all started with me with my Dad buying a new 1976 455 4 speed Trans Am....Silver exterior with Carmine red interior, honeycomb wheels. In 1984 I was 19 years old, I purchased a 1978 Black T/A off a local car lot for around $5K...it may have had 60,000 miles on it. I drove it for about a year then saw a Black 1976 455 SE for sale.....I traded my 78' in for the 76', not because it was a SE, but because it had the 455 motor and it was very similar to my fathers. I had the old 76' for quite a few years, ended up getting married and was tired of borrowing my Dad's pickup everytime I needed one, which was often it seemed being newly married and a homeowner. 20 years later I find the bug again, I recently purchased a 1978 Chesterfield Brown T/A ws6, w72 4 speed car that I am currently restoring. This car has brought back more memories than I could ever imagine......one thing of note is it seems these cars are lower and smaller than I remember, must be old age and me getting bigger : )
1978 Chesterfield Brown T/A WS6, W72 4 speed
2007 Mustang GT "Shelbyized"
2006 F-350 4 door 4x4 Powerstroke

Offline wheels78ta

• Worth its weight in Gold
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 07:25:48 AM »
My dad brought home a brand new 74' GTO, which has the shaker hood and scoop.  I loved the power the car had but the shaker hood really got me hooked.  Then when I saw an early 70's Trans Am, I fell in love with them and got my first one at age 21.  A 1978 Trans Am with H/H t-tops, etc.  I didn't take care of the car like I should, blew the motor, and then it sat outside (no garage) and rotted.  I saved a few parts from that one and still have the rear spoiler.
Later, at age 43, I was able to buy a 78' with the 403, fisher t-tops and chesterfield brown.  Also picked up a 75', 2 years after the brown one and parted it out because the body was very rusted.  And finally, the 1978 Gold SE.  That's the restore project I'm doing in honor of my dad.  He passed away in 1991.  Dad and mom loved gold jewelry, so this car is dedicated to them.

wheels
1978 Y88 W72 WS6 4-SPD 79,000 miles
1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 7.4L Vortec 4x4
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1L Vortec 4x4
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3L Vortec 4x4

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »
wheels78ta and that is a very good choice i have been trying to find a 78(L80)for a long timegood luck they tell me only 210 were made   and i like the color brown on your t/a   transam dave hudson florida  34667

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »
My old man was also the one that got me started- he had a '69 CustomS w/ a 350-2V. No GTO but it would blow the doors off those 79-81 IROC-Zs in my old neighborhood. He also bought me my first Firebird as a reward for helping him build our driveway-
a used and abused 78 S/E T/A- had the Hurst T-tops (two LH's !!). We fixed it up a little bit, got a RH T-top, and it was good to go. I lost interest in the car because it had a bad front end shake at 80 mph, and I was too young to fix it (most 17 yr. olds just want to drive).

If I were to buy another T/A it would that one- at least now I can rebuild the car from the wheels up.

Geno

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
thats ok 72blackbird no one is born with a love for a certain car they make the mistake of letting some go later they realize i cant be with out the transam i need another so you buy another and anotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  transam dave  florida

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »
 re : 78TADude that is  the cars that is real popular right now it seems im getting into the 78 transams/and firebird as i see so many for sale now i have a 78 esprit in florida for sale  and i keep getting as many f/bird transams as i can mostly 77 and older  transam dave  florida

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
 re: Gunner  they still are the the biggest and the badest  muscle car there is in my opinion the f/body i a strong ten  TRANSAM DAVE  HUDSON  FLORIDA

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 07:36:19 PM »
Fell in love with them when I first seen S&B.
My first Trans Am was my black huffy bike. ;)
It was the car of my times, I sold my 69 GTO to finish my car. 
The GTO wasnt the car of my youthful era like the TA's were.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
re: Gunner  they still are the the biggest and the badest  muscle car there is in my opinion the f/body i a strong ten  TRANSAM DAVE  HUDSON  FLORIDA

There ya go...........Nuff said :D

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »
Eagle 1 do you have a transam now  what do you have what yr what and t/a or firebird   transam dave  hudson florida  34667

Offline Raven

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 01:56:10 AM »
Well as many have said before I love the look of these cars, the sounds, the colors, etc. I caught the bug at a very early age (4 years old) when I first saw Smokey and The Bandit. I had the Hotwheels Hotbird and I did all the stunts with that car. When Burt drove the car off the semi I just knew I had to have one some day. Now I have 3 and I love them all! It is definitely an emotional thing as RIck said. I remember when I got my first one, a Mayan Red '78 with 455SD and 4-speed. I didn't know what I had at the time and I really didn't like the color but it was scary fast and it was a T/A with t-tops. As she sat in the garage through the winter I found myself coming out at odd hours of the night just to sit and stare. Sometimes I'd get in and pretend to drive or crank her over just so I could convince myself that life was not a dream.... and eventually I fell in love! I named all three cars and I still don't know why.....  ::)
1978 Mayan Red Trans Am, '74 455SD, 4-speed.
1977 Trans Am SE, Y82, 400, auto.
1999 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am, LS1, auto.
Time Flies in a Trans Am!

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2008, 10:06:31 AM »
   re:  raven  for me it is a little the same way i see a transam for sale and it needs help i have a hard time saying no unless the price is way to much then i do the waiting game who can wait the longest  sometimes i win and at times i dont like the 1980 "smoken t/a" its in transam photo  section if i did not buy that car he was going to crush  so i did it was wourth the money  transam dave  hudson  florida  34667

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »
i have had around 30 or so 70-81's i love them i cant get enough though right now im birdless it seems as if i am not since it hasnt left yet but i will get me another one some day i have an eye on a 10th annev car but we will see. maybe if i just stick to one thing i can get it done rather than having several and never getting anywhere.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »
  re: y88rick  you are 100%  correct that seems to happen to me all the time i get one started then i sell the parts then i sell the car then it starts all over again ill buy a parts car and keep 0% for a new project for myself  transam dave  hudson  florida 34667

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
Eagle 1 do you have a transam now  what do you have what yr what and t/a or firebird   transam dave  hudson florida  34667

I have a 1978 car I restored.
I have nearly completed it so I need to update my pictures but here is the link: http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8993.0
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."