Author Topic: LEDs in front marker/turn signals don't work! Help  (Read 1999 times)

Offline KeithInMI

LEDs in front marker/turn signals don't work! Help
« on: August 12, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »

Ok went to replace the last bulbs that aren’t led in my 78 y88.

The bulbs go in the front parking/turn signal in bumper. Orig bulbs have two pins just like these. One for parking light one for turn/hazard. However when I put the leds in I have no turn signal no flasher and my front and rear side marker lights don’t light up, but it does light when I pull the headlight switch.

The LED works and does light up and weirdly, I can only twist it in one way to get it to work. When I rotated it 180 deg, i could kind of twist it in and it lit up also.

Blinker and hazard don’t work either. Led will only twist in one way.

If I replace with orig incandescent bulb it works fine.

I have a led compatible hazard and turn flasher module.

By the way the original bulbs are 1157s and the leds are supposed to be 1157 replacements and indicate that on the box. They are from superbrightleds.

If I pull the front bulb, the front & rear side markers go out. The f/r side markers don't light up at all when I put the LED in.
This happens on both sides, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a ground that's broken loose anywhere. Unless someone can tell me where to check them (not sure of their physical locations).

What the heck??????

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: LEDs in front marker/turn signals don't work! Help
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:42 PM »
Have you looked at the wiring diagram to show how these work? Simply adding LED as is won't work, the side markers also flip polarity.

Side marker flash wiring diagram by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:39:39 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: LEDs in front marker/turn signals don't work! Help
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:59:25 AM »
glad I could help, chances are I was digging up that image to post anyway so none of my time wasted.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:00:57 AM by Aus78Formula »