Author Topic: 70-80 Firebird Trans Am Stereo / CD Player Console Adapter  (Read 9806 times)

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Great Spring Project
Console mounted stereo adapter
Add a modern stereo system to your car with out cutting your dash.

With this adapter, there's is no need to cut your dash to install a modern stereo in your 70-80 Firebird or Trans Am.

The adaptor allows you to easily install a modern Standard DIN Stereo CD Player in the map pocket location of your 70-80 Firebird, Trans Am, Esprit, Formula, Lady Bird etc. 

Absolutely no cutting, drilling or hacking of your dash or console is required.

Simply remove the factory map pocket insert, install this adaptor in place of the map pocket using the mounting screws from the map pocket and install your new stereo cd player into the adaptor. Installing the adaptor takes less than an hour.

installation is actually very simple but installation instructions are included. Current standard DIN stereo size is 2-1/16" x 7-3/16". This is the size of the opening needed for the metal cage of a standard DIN stereo.

I don't believe there is room to install a stereo in the map pocket location on 81 Turbo TA's due to the electronics for the turbo being installed in the map pocket area. However, I've been told that you can relocate the computer box in order to install a stereo in the map pocket area using this adapter.  Please check your car to confirm this.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item is located in Louisville KY, 40299. Local pick up is welcome. Checks and  money orders preferred. Paypal accepted. Personal checks will have to clear before shipping.  Shipping is FREE ! Payment within 7 business days is very much appreciated! Please allow two weeks from the time payment clears for delivery. Please email me at W70442@hotmail.com with questions. Free shipping offer includes free USPS shipping inside the continental US. Shipping to other locations will just be the actual shipping amount above $4. Will ship to USA and Canada ONLY.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The adapters are priced at $49.95 with FREE SHIPPING to members of this board. Please mention this add when inquiring about one.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:21:01 AM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline dewcrazzy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Bob
Re: 70-80 Firebird Trans Am Stereo / CD Player Console Adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
nice looking setup.

Offline Gold79ta

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
Yep thats what I just did with my install.

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »
I actually bought a 3 gauge pod that fits in that location.  And it looks good also.  My original dash was already cut when I bought the car.  I do have the original radio and bezel in great shape though.

Offline 78ta

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:26:19 AM »
Hi Guys.
Thanks for the compliments.

I actually make the gauge adapters as well as the cup holders that FBodywarehouse sells along with other products for the 68-72 Olds Cutlass/442. The Cutlass housings can be installed into just about any model using different mounting brackets.

Here's the gauge adapter and a couple of the Cutlass housings. Anyone interested in more info on any of them can reach me at w70442@hotmail.com.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:09:08 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Greenbird76

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
well that is cool.  I did buy mine from Fbodywarehouse about a year and a half ago.  Installation was easy and I already had the car apart anyways.  It is a great accessory for those of us who do not want to cut up there 3? year old dashes to mount mechanical gauges on cars not equipped with the Rally pack.  I installed a set of inexpensive Sunpro 2.5 inch white gauges and I am very pleased with the results.  Here is a pic.  The black pod along with the white faced gauges really compliments my white deluxe interior IMO. 

Offline 78ta

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »
Those gauges do look good Greenbird.

Yep, that's the reason I came up with them. I wanted to put a cd player in my 78 but didn't want to cut the dash. I had been building the Cutlass housings since about 01 so I adapted the idea to the TA. The seldom used map pocket was a perfect place to put the stereo or gauges. Another great thing about them is that the modification is completely reversible.

Glad to help.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:07:35 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Greenbird76

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »
Yes. That is why I chose it.  No cutting or drilling.  I am going to replace my cracked consule with a donor one and it eill be a snap to switch it over.  Nice job dude.

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »
Wow you make those? Cool! I'll be buying a cup holder sometime in the future.
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline 78ta

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
Thank you Greenbird.

Wow you make those? Cool! I'll be buying a cup holder sometime in the future.
Yep, been developing and building items for classic cars from 1/8" ABS for about 10 years now. Always looking for new ideas.
Randy

Offline fl78ta

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 11:01:54 PM »
AWESOME! I just got a Uniden Bearcat CB and it's DIN sized. How do I go about ordering one of these from ya Randy?

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
This thread hasn’t been posted in for over 8 years. These used to be available at various sites but I don’t recall seeing any recently. You could try sending him a PM or see if his email is listed. Maybe he still makes some here and there.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 08:12:49 PM »
Actually there is an email address listed in the first post of this thread.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline 78ta

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 02:55:54 AM »
LOL.
I'm still making these parts. You can get the parts from Fbodywarehouse.com. Or, if you have a need for a custom version, email me. w70442@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Randy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:57:38 AM by 78ta »
Randy