Author Topic: Dash Bezel Removal Help  (Read 4331 times)

Offline LTD

Dash Bezel Removal Help
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
Ok guys...a little bit of help needed here tonight!  I am installing a new headlight switch in the 'bird and need specific directions for doing so.  I have looked at the dash bezel and want to make sure that I do everything with care to avoid damaging any parts.  How do I go about removing the bezel?  I think the hardest part is going to be getting the light switch ring off and getting the bezel off due to the pulse wiper switch.  Any advice to do the job right?  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!  ;D

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Dash Bezel Removal Help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
There are three screws in top plate of the bezel.

Unscrew the retaining ring around the lighter.

Go under the steering wheel and remove the two plastic retaining anchors that hold that panel under the steering column.

With that panel out of the way you'll find 2 long screws that go up through the bottom of the dash and into the bezel. Remove them.

And of course pop the gauge rings of all the gauges and a/c vents.

That should do it.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:51:08 PM »
Yes, i agree with Jeff above, take out those 5 screws and unscrew the cigarette ring and the bezel will come out, then remove the screws for the headlight switch and the wipers, rotate the headlight switch 1/4 turn counterclockwise and it will come out.  You also have to unplug it of course.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »
There's a light path that is connected to the switch.  The other end goes into the cluster.  Be care not to break that piece of plastic.

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:14:49 PM »
Nate--

I may be doing things the hard way, I've removed the bezel (and dash cluster) on my three second gens mutliple times--but I've always found it considerably easier if I loosen up the bracket holding the steering column in place under the dash.  I let it drop a little so the bezel clears everything as I pull it out of the dash pad.

Just a suggestion.

Tinman5
"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
I always do that too.  It avoids scratching the column.  And, if you pull the cluster, you have to lower that column.

Offline LTD

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:12:11 AM »
Well, no luck as far as the headlights go.  Changed the switch.  Hooked the new one up and the same thing occured.  The rear lights work perfectly as well as all the parking lights.  Just no headlights.  There has to be a problem somewhere in those wires.  Guess it's back for another try today!

Thanks for the directions guys, I really appreciate it!

Offline kirk78400ta

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 07:27:19 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Any luck with yours?

Offline Rockford

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 11:28:42 AM »
You're replying to a very old post.  Are you having exactly the same issue?  Have you tried to see if any of your high beams work?  I had a problem a short while ago, and it was a grounding issue.  I had found a green wire within the harness that was completely spliced/cut.  Once I resolved that issue, all my lights functioned perfectly.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 06:21:37 PM »
2008 is wondering exactly what problem you are having and what you have done? Switch, grounding, dimmer switch?