Author Topic: Shifter knob removal?  (Read 9905 times)

Offline moonrider1

Shifter knob removal?
« on: January 14, 2007, 07:19:04 PM »
Can anyone give me a quick lesson on the easiest way to remove the shifter know from the shaft on an automatic shifter?  I know the button has to come out somehow, but not sure how to get it out without messing it up.  Help??
79 10th anniversery T/A 403 Auto
78 Solar Gold Y-88 SE T/A 400 Auto
74 Camaro Type LT Z28 350 - 4 speed
66 Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback 289 - 4 speed

Offline Nodak T/A

• North Dakota
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »
just did this for the first time a few days ago.  pryed up with a small screwdriver to get the button off.  Then there is a snap ring that holds the knob on.  

The ring was pretty fragile though, broke it..
Jeff

78 Gold SE

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:44:57 PM »
If you don't have a pair of long nose pliers to get the clip off you can use a long skinny straight screwdriver and pull up firmly on the shift knob and start walking the clip out by prying out at the ear of the clip and working your way around. Firm pressure will hold the e-clip from slipping back into the groove as you work your way around. Keep an eye out for the clip tho.... If you're pulling up too much as the clip comes off it's bye bye clip into the car somewhere.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
You really need a pair of snap ring pliers.  It's still a pain to get them off without bending them.  I did it a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the heater core on my daughter's 1977 T/A.  By the way, start to finish, ten hours to replace the heater core.  It doesn't seem like it should take that long, but there are a lot of steps to it.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:45:18 PM »
Russ, not envious of you at all!!! :shock:

You should have that heater core R&R down to an Olympic Sport by now. You can bet your a*& I'll replace mine while the car is apart.  :lol:
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 09:49:19 PM »
Last year right before the TA Nats, Maryland Bandit was giving his car a shakedown drive for the cruise to Dayton from Baltimore.  His heater core chose that moment to take a dump.  Tom had to get in and fix it so he could make the Nats.  He was NOT a happy camper, but he got it done in record time.  I can't say it would have boosted my confidence in the car going all that way, but he didn't have any more problems.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:21:56 PM »
Yeah, Tom called me before the Nationals with some questions when he was doing the heater core.... I was happy to walk him through it on the phone.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Maryland Bandit

Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »
Ohh yes!! Brett was a lifesaver answering his cell phone on a Sunday no less. That one small nut holds the WHOLE case in. Well actually there are 3. Saved almost 500.00 in labor doing it myself. Key to it is remove the passenger seat and the console assembly. Plenty of room to work with then.

As far as the snap ring, go to Sears and spend 20.00 on the 3-pair set of red handled snap ring pliers. I did last year and it was money well spent.
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »
Well, I've done two heater cores since last May.  It's not fun at all.  About six months ago I followed a 79 black TA into a shop.  The guy was looking for T-Tops cause one of his blew off.  He had a TATA which I tried to buy from him.  Nice solid car but someone had ripped out the A/C, the door locks didn't work, the cruise control didn't work, no radio, and of course the car was painted black and had the wrong interior in it.  He also had the heater core bypassed.  I told him how to fix it and he asked me to fix it for him.  He couldn't understand why I said no even when he offered to pay me.

I offered him $800 but he said he's had the car for 20 years and didn't want to sell it.  He needs to pour a bunch of money into it to keep it maintained though.  It was a 403 with something like 150,000 miles.

One really cool thing....the console was covered with a leopard print material, it went well with the black seat covers and the grey dash and kick panels....it's amazing what people do to their cars.

Offline Prettybird81

Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 07:56:53 AM »
Is the little clip available in a repro if you wreck it trying to take it out?   I got the little bird cover off easily... but couldn't figure out what was holding the knob on... this helps!  

What does the heater core do?
Jeri

"Prettybird" ~ 81 T/A 301T/Auto, 23K.... oh... wait... make that 26K... nope... 27K Orig Miles (survivor)

"Arlington Cemetery has no section for Republicans, Democrats or Independents so get over yourself & suck it up"

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:29:07 AM »
Heater core...shifter...don't tell me you've somehow connected the 2!!!!

Coolant from the engine passes through the heater core and your blower fan blows across it sending warm air into the car when you turn the heat on...basically

And replacement clips are available as well as used if you broke yours. Also a C-clip should work just fine.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »
Quote from: "Prettybird81"
What does the heater core do?

The heater core is located under the passenger-side dash up in the footwell.  It's behind that whole mass of black stuff you see up there looking in behind where your glovebox is located.

The heater core is like the radiator, except that the air that goes through it is the inside air for your car.  The hot coolant, which comes through the small hose on the water pump, flows through it and provides the heat, then flows back into the engine via a connection at the rear of the passenger side cylinder head.

The air speed/volume of the air blowing through the heater core is controlled by your blower motor.  There is a flap in the heater assembly that decides how much air goes through the heater core and how much bypasses it (that's controlled by your temperature selection lever).  So if you want hot heat and a lot of it, you slide your temp selector to hot and turn up the blower to max.

Because of the *obscure* location of these items (heater core, blower motor), replacing them is a major PITA.  You're read what has to happen to get at the heater core -- for the blower motor you either have to drop the passenger side fenderwell to get it out of the way, or cut a hole  in it to get at the motor.  A lot of people opt for that -- Barbara (2boxerdogs on TAC) found that when they started restoring their TATA, so they had to weld in a new patch panel to replace the crude patch they found when they tore it down.

It's really surprising that heater cores don't go bad more often, considering they are really just like the radiator and are full of coolant all the time.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »
Yeah...like I said :?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 10:15:17 AM »
Somehow your reply didn't show up when I read the thread -- dunno why, with 20 minutes between the two -- but that happens sometimes. :?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Shifter knob removal?
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:24:59 AM »
I got your number, post-hog! :wink:  :lol:
I saw what you, Brett, and Milly did last night...too funny :P
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette