Author Topic: Leaf spring type.  (Read 3086 times)

Offline PMDMAN80

Leaf spring type.
« on: January 02, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »
Hey all, I need to replace the rear leafs on my "80" WS6 T/A. Who has had the best luck with ride height with what type of spring.
I have searched alot and found numerous spring rates. I don't want to invest in springs and have it ride like it has air shocks that are jacked up on it. Pretty much want stock height. If it's too low, i can pump up air shocks to my suiting, but, if too high, I have problems. Thanks in advance to any, and all!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Leaf spring type.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:32:31 PM »
Firstly, air shocks are not used to create a desired ride height. Secondly, very rarely will you find new springs are too low compared to 40 year old sagging leafs owner was familiar with, often far higher than they are happy with, even for 'stock'. Likewise, stock height isn't a spring rating.

Offline PMDMAN80

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
ok, let me rephrase my question to receive my desired answer. What Manufacturer of leaf spring has anyone purchased that was
able to give them the ride height closest to  stock? Thank You.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:25:32 PM by PMDMAN80 »

Offline Stringer

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:31:08 PM »
When I redid my suspension I kept it stock. I replaced all bushings and the leaf springs  I purchased parts through https://www.classicindustries.com/.  The brand name was OER (Original Equipment Replacement). Over all I'm pleased with the result. Original ride height and handling. The front suspension bushing squeak when going over speed bumps but other than that it is fine.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 07:29:04 PM »
OER stands for Original Equipment Reproduction. But that's not important!

You can have 'stock' height suspension but have it hard with no travel or mushy and equally horrible ride. I used PTFB springs with mine, they also don't advertise as a ride height. So simply shopping around for a stock height spring will be difficult because it doesn't mean much and these were often used under different vehicles but same claims.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 04:28:45 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Stringer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 10:55:34 PM »
I stand corrected...."Reproduction" it is.  I found the ride height the same. Measured mine before and after. I think it was 1/4 inch higher after.  I don't fully recall the specs, I didn't commit the measurement to memory. The rear end seemed to be more stable and track better after putting them on.  So maybe the handling wasn't quite the same but it was close. I'm not building something for the Concours d'Elegance, nor something to take to the track - I just want something close to original with quality parts when they are replaced.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:07:29 PM by Stringer »

Offline PMDMAN80

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 04:50:57 PM »
Thank You Stringer! Doing some more research as well, Detroit spring has 2 different spring rates with varying ride heights ranging from stock height,-3 to +3. Heavier spring rate as stated on their web site is not for a "nice ride" but i imagine for handling purposes. Thank You.

Offline langss

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »
OP....if you want to keep your original springs, look into "Leaf Spring Rearching".