Author Topic: center caps  (Read 4049 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
center caps
« on: November 09, 2006, 07:00:12 PM »
I called to order new dust shields that go behind the front rotors.  On a whim I asked my contact to see if they still had center caps available.  He got back to me and said he found four for me.  I then asked him how many were available nation wide via the dealer network.  He said 15.  I've got my four and they are going on a shelf or maybe my deposit box at the bank. :D

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
center caps
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 08:32:25 PM »
I am assuming these would be available from a Pontiac Dealer?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
center caps
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 08:49:54 PM »
They are available from Pontiac dealers.  But the guy I got mine through went on the dealer inventory system and said there were only 15 left on the dealers shelves throughout the country.

So, either he's wrong and there are more available, there is another source, or there are really a very limited supply left.

The NPD catalog doesn't give a price and says to call.  So, I think these caps are running out.

Offline kyledyr

• 1981 Trans Am - HydroCarbon powered Eco-Vehicle
center caps
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:19:28 PM »
are originals worth anything if all they have is a little wear and tear? i'm missing ONE, so i'll probably buy a whole new set of the repro ones and sell the old ones (if they're worth anything....  :? )
"If you want me to be eco-friendly, make eco-friendly not suck."
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
center caps
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 09:29:58 PM »
I've seen them go for anywhere between 30 and $50 dollars each.  But it depends on their condition.  But the plastic ones look different.  I haven't seen the bullet type in plastic.

Offline Solar78

center caps
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 09:33:11 AM »
The new center caps have the hexagon look...
The older bullet caps are not reproduced as far as I know...
I bought a few trying to get four decent ones together...its tough..most have dings and dents.... I think I will send mine out to be redipped....
Trying to find the birds for the centers is hard too.....
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
center caps
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »
The emblems are available from GM...still.  They are also available aftermarket.  A friend of mine is going to buy the remaining 15 center caps that are listed on the GM inventory.  I think he's getting them for something like $41 each.

Offline Solar78

center caps
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 10:28:39 AM »
does he really need ALL fifteen!!!
  :shock:
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
center caps
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 10:50:11 AM »
No, he doesn't even own a T/A.  He wants to hold them for a couple of years...then sell them to suckers like us who'll pay big bucks for new original center caps.

Offline Solar78

center caps
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 03:05:04 PM »
Man that stinks!!
I would have bought some of them...
This is the exact conversation we had about two weeks ago at the show was..

There are no more enthusiates (Yeah Spelling is bad!! :oops: ) but collectors and that is driving up the price of parts and cars... and will eventually push the lovers of these cars that can't afford it out of the hobby...

Nothing against your friend... but I am sure ya get what I am sayin...

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
center caps
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 03:55:18 PM »
There is a guy I buy them from for about $300 a set with emblems included.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
center caps
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 06:42:50 PM »
In fairness to my friend, he asked if I wanted them and I declined.  My thought was not 15, but sending one to a friend of mne in China and asking what he could get 10,000 made for.  Probably one or two dollars each.  Then I could make a killing selling them for $30 each.  So, if they're really out, I just might do that.  Time will tell.

But it's really nice to pull a bright new shiny center cap out of the GM box!

Offline Solar78

center caps
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
Quote from: "Hitman"
There is a guy I buy them from for about $300 a set with emblems included.

Hey Brett I might have you slap a set of them on my car when ya get it...
We can discuss after you get it to the shop...

Also you think you will be able to slap on my dashpad for me?

Thanks...