Author Topic: firebird and camaro parts interchange?  (Read 19330 times)

Offline Blue Knight

• 1978 T/A 400ci and Hurst T-Tops
firebird and camaro parts interchange?
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:00:26 PM »
 I am looking for  parts and all stuff needed for my 1978 T/A.
was wondering if the camaro body parts will interchange.
 like the doors , rear quarter section , most important the floorboards pans and trunk pan?
  you guys would know and thanks for everything you guys do for us.
       Freind of mine has a 78/79 camaro junked in his barn but has nice floors and trunk pans.
                   thanks ,
                                  ray b

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
Re: firebird and camaro parts interchange?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »
Hello Ray,
  Welcome to the forum. Take a good look at a Camaro body and a Firebird body, you will see that while they are similar they are a little different. Yes, the doors will interchange. The trunk lids are the same and the roof is the same. I assume the trunk pans will interchange as will the floor pans, I have never done that though (doesn't hurt to try at least). The quarter panels will NOT interchange. Hope this answers your question.
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline logikfive

• http://www.myspace.com/logikfive
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »
Floors and trunk pan will interchage if the car is a similar year to your car. I forget when the trunkpan changed but it was in the mid 70's.

Keep in mind, though that the trunk floor is reproduced as is the floorpans. The only parts you will not get with replacement floor pans are the toeboards and the very rear of the interior floorpans.

Aside from that, no exterior panels aside from the trunkid, center trunklid spoiler section, the trunklid filler panel, and the roof are interchangable. They will pyshically fit, but the bodylines are so much different between the two it will not look right at all.

'88 Conquest 2.6L/Turbo @22psi | '99 Durango 5.9L SLT Supercharged @8psi
'76 Trans Am 462ci | '78 Trans Am 455

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »
yes everything will fit to make it a camaro...but like logikfive said....no body lines will match....the doors have a different shape to them in some spots....the 1/4s are made for a different style bumper, wheel wells on camaros are smaller than firebirds, the only panels that are completely interchageable with no noticing differences are the roof and the floors,trunkpan,firewall,subframe, and other misc. parts...but if you are questioning what will work just ask im sure somebody on here will get right back to you as they may have tried it already....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline firebird dad

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
Ray, I had the same question awhile back ago. As I was told.....there are alot of the interior parts and panels that will work (minus the dash assy). Floor board,doors, etc.. As long as your not worried about keeping it original. I have had more luck finding the availabilty or Camaro parts than Firebird/Trans Am. Also, there are alot of good people on this site willing to help you locate the parts you may need.

Offline Serpiko

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
I was reading somewhere that the Camaro is wider and also that the width of the firebirds changes quite a bit from year to year, and all that seems a bit strange to me, is it really like that or they all share the same width?
"Maybe I am a dinosaur, but I am a Tyrannosaurus Rex baby", -Lemmy

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
For a 2nd gen? I'd really doubt that. The rear axles interchange between the camaro and the Firebird. I believe the front subframes do as well. So, all things being equal, they'll have the same track width/length.

And don't forget, its really only the body lines that are different between the 2 platforms. The floors, firewall, front & rear windows, roof, trunk lid all interchange. IF you really wanted to you could unbolt a TA fender and bolt a Camaro fender in its place. The body lines would be completely off but dimension wise it would fit.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:57:44 AM »
there is a body line that runs along the bottem of the door, fender, and quarter pannel that wont line up the tail lights on a camaro also wrap around the side of the quarter pannel on 74-81 cars
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 09:35:07 PM »
The Hood of a Camaro is wider, maybe that's what you read. The Firebird fenders wrap over more. This affects the rear hood trim and fender edge pieces meaning they don't interchange regardless of what most ebay ads say. So no, you can't simply swap a fender, you need to swap the entire front end in order to get it to even bolt on and it wouldn't match anything.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 09:38:20 PM by Aus78Formula »