Vendors and Distributors > Phoenix Graphix

Decals Question

<< < (2/14) > >>

BAMA TA:
Well, I put the bird on today and let it sit for 5 hours (directions say a minimum of 3, so I thought I would give it a little extra time.) Turned out good except for a lot of bubbles. I used a pin and worked most of them out. I'm going to let it sit out in the sun this Saturday and see if the heat will shrink them. It's not perfect, but I think it turned out pretty well if the bubbles go away. By the way, the gel makes a hell of a mess!

TurboTA:
I have purchased my decals from Stencils & Stripes after numerous problems from PG as well.  The folks at Stencils & Stripes (Ralph) recommended placing any decals that are being stored in a high quality zip lock freezer bag.  He said the air will dry out the backing and decal causing a lot of headaches when attempting to release or apply the decal.

Needless to say, all of my decals in storage are in a zip-lock bag.  I haven't experienced any problems with the quality of decals at Stencils & Stripes.  They seem like a smaller firm, more control over their inventory and quality? 

Wallington:
While the shelf life may be plausible, many would prefer they used decals that were a few years old in recent times that still had the old paper backing. NOS GM decals on 3M paper still work fine from 30 years ago if stored properly. And I bet many of the decal kits in the warehouses of the stockists are not all recent, some of the rarer colour schemes or stripes could be there for years, while the typical black and gold SE gets replaced every week. I still have a full set for mine in the original mailing tube from 5 years ago, and they better be fine for another 5 years before it gets paint, especially when shipping overseas alone cost the same as the decals.

BAMA TA:

--- Quote from: Aus78Formula on November 06, 2012, 07:39:50 AM ---While the shelf life may be plausible, many would prefer they used decals that were a few years old in recent times that still had the old paper backing. NOS GM decals on 3M paper still work fine from 30 years ago if stored properly. And I bet many of the decal kits in the warehouses of the stockists are not all recent, some of the rarer colour schemes or stripes could be there for years, while the typical black and gold SE gets replaced every week. I still have a full set for mine in the original mailing tube from 5 years ago, and they better be fine for another 5 years before it gets paint, especially when shipping overseas alone cost the same as the decals.

--- End quote ---

Mine released from the backing fine, the only problem I have is with the air bubbles which I'm continuing to work out. I let it sit overnight in the basement (where it will always be anyway), and a lot of the bubbles have disappeared. I've worked more of them out with a pin and hairdryer as well. It's starting to look really good now. Knock on wood.

T/A Kid:
Bama TA, mine did the same thing but like you said let the sun work on those bubbles and they will slowly but surely  begin to go away. Good luck !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version