Author Topic: Need work! ( 1977-1979 TA owners )  (Read 15480 times)

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
Re: Need work! ( 1977-1979 TA owners )
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
2,500 will hardly cover the material cost , i charge around 8,000 and im on the cheap side, hope it works out for you good luck on your new business venture
She's a Winner

Offline osso12

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
Thanks Homer. The blue 68 I painted was using PPG and included pretty much everything I needed as far as materials except for a few things. I had right at $800 in a gallon of paint and clear, and about a bout $300 in paper and so forth. That is $1,100.
Depending on how straight the body is, (that is why I mentioned close to paint) I should not need much in any kind of fillers or compounds for polishing  that I need.  Anything out of the $1,000 that is left over is on me. Yes, I am working for peanuts but this is how I choose to do it for now, or at least on the first couple of cars to see how it goes.  Labor IS expensive, that is why I want to help people that are willing to give me a chance on the work. The black 68 you see above we did for $2500 and that was about 7 years ago or so. That car was not cut or buffed out, and it had some small orange peel, but came out looking fairly well, and the paint job I would consider better than driver quality. I do not think paint has went up that MUCH in the last couple of years since I last checked. I can do it for $2,500. It will not have any runs or orange peel when I am done either.

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »
Just painted my TA with PPG and had under $800 in paint, clear, body filler, and such.  Then again, I had only 2 minor dents to attend to and no rot.  Rot or previous hack jobs is where you can lose your shirt.

A friend I know that owns a good shop had a guy bring in a very nice '69 rs/ss conv. camaro.  While the owner was driving down the road the hood came on pinned and slammed up on the windshield.  So, really the only damage was the hood, windshield and some other minor things.  The rest of the car was absolutely awesome.  The owener wanted to have the whole car stripped and repainted.  The painter tried to talk him out saying the car was fine and he'd get the paint to match 100%.  Well, the painter gave in and had the car media blasted.  Seriously the car had to have about 20 gallons of bondo.  There was so much rot in the rear even the inner panel that held the interior in place were bondo'd!!!  It was so bad, bodymen all around came out to look at the car and couldn't beleive it.  They had all seen the car before it was stripped and wouldn't believe it was the same car.  So, a simple strip and repaint that was to take about a month ended up in a years worth of work and thousands of dollars later.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline osso12

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »
Thanks bro. You can loose your a** real quick.. I am aware of that. Media blasting can be scary. I have had it done to my cars. The one that ran into the pole was media blasted before paint. Sounds like in that particular situation you mentioned, the painter should be responsible for getting the car back like it was prior to the accident, but not to go and media blast it before the second repaint, as he did not media blast it before he painted it the first time. Foolish on his part. Thanks for update on the paint cost.. So I was right on par. If for example I get a car from a customer they feel is 90% ready to shoot and I see it and discover a foot of bondo on the door. Its up to the customer at that point. Its on them OR they can sign a waiver that they choose NOT to fix the area in question, or they can tell me whether they wanna dynaglass it, patch it, reskin it, or other method.  $50 an hour to correct the issue (plus cost of sheet metal) then we go from there. If anyone would like to take me up on this offer, I will require 1/2 ($1,250) once the car is delivered and I have had a small chance to inspect the car. The other half ($1,250) I will require right prior to shooting of the car with the top coat.  I do not know how to make it any fairer then that. I can take paypal or cash either one. If I take paypal I will need $16.00 per each paypal trans action.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:42:09 AM by osso12 »

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
osso, i am sure you will find many hesitant people to give you $1250 upon dropping the cr off an the the balance before you shoot the top coat, wich means he/she will have to be at your shop at paint time, the question "any fairer than that" would be
$1250 down and the balance upon satisfaction. you have already covered you material cost plus approx $200 or so and as you stated the car is already 90% and ready for paint so in essence you have scuff time, tape time and booth time
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 09:43:24 AM »
Good point Joe.  When I do large jobs where I have a lot of money out, this is normally what I do too.

osso, no the painter that painted it a 2nd time wasn't the one that painted it the first time.  The 2nd painter is well seasoned and knows what to look for.  This car totally caught him.  He got it right but he had over $3000 in body parts alone.  They ended up buying a parts car to fix the "good" car.  This is how much bodywork was in it.  Again, no one that ever inspected the car ever thought there was that much filler.  It was lazer straight.  Even the wheel lips were done to the point they looked solid.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline osso12

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 02:02:32 PM »
osso, i am sure you will find many hesitant people to give you $1250 upon dropping the cr off an the the balance before you shoot the top coat, wich means he/she will have to be at your shop at paint time, the question "any fairer than that" would be
$1250 down and the balance upon satisfaction. you have already covered you material cost plus approx $200 or so and as you stated the car is already 90% and ready for paint so in essence you have scuff time, tape time and booth time
My response to the payment up front. This is not as HOMER mentioned a $8,000 project. Its a $2,500 PAINT JOB only. You can see by the dialog, that I am not making really anything at all off of this idea. I already mentioned that I have to come up with $1,000 up front to even get a building. I mentioned I am out of work. The half down would give me the first months rent only. With that, I would have to hustle to get the car ready in a month. I dont have an other job to pull me away from the project so that means I am only about a half a mile away from the building. I could put in as many hours as it takes to get the car ready to shoot. The blue car you see that I painted was shot in my driveway. I wont shoot in my driveway anymore. I COULD, but I wont. I have access to garages from family members around me if in a worse case scenario. neighbor has one, mom has one, and my brother has a garage. The money prior to shoot guarantees me final payment. All the monies prior to the shoot would have been exhausted of course. I will guarantee the car has no orange peel, no runs, and will look like a driver quality paint job. I do not guarantee it to be a $8,000 paint job has homer says it cost him. I am not sure if he is talking about it cost him $8k to restore his car or just $8k to paint it. This will not be a motor pull, tranny pull, a interior pull. It will be a paint job. Two totally different things. I do not call a paint job a "restoration" I know all the terms and how they can be used incorrectly or confuse others such as BAD did. You want a Frame off restoration? Fine. Pay me restoration costs and give me about two years or more to do it. Save yourself some money and ship me all the parts required and I will charge only labor.
Ok, time for some more pics. You don't think I have the skills to pull a frame? No problem there.

Offline osso12

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »

Do you have sugar in your gas tank? No problem! I know just what to do to get it running again!

Offline osso12

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »
Want your firewall smoothed out? We can manage to get it done!

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
i mean i charge 8,000 for a paint job,this is what i do for a living for 11 years now, as for full resto, i dont do , but i have around twenty in mine, not counting my free labor
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:18:53 PM by HOMER »
She's a Winner

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
thats waht i figured, we have a few shops here in town that get $5500 to squirt it after who knows how much to get it to the blocking stage
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline osso12

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »
Bro.. just seen your cars! Awesome candidates! They look very straight from pics. Any cancers? Fla prices must be way higher than texas prices...
Maaco here will squirt a car for $300 and they are pro painters that squirt.. Its just there paint the use  is kinda lame and they do not do any prep at all.
They squirt well, but they leave dirt, bubbles, debris in the paint....  That 79 you picked up.. is it supposed to dark blue metallic/nocturne blue?
I had a nocturne blue 79 with camel leather interior and cars and concepts T Tops....
Id love to buy that 80 SE off of you but i noticed you dont have my engine. LOL.

Offline osso12

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
Homer... Understood bro! Your car looks incredible! You have $20k in parts for a "paint job' though if I understand you correctly? Or $20k for parts that you put into your "paint job" to get it to look the way it does now?
Sorry if I don't make any sense. Its not intentional. lol.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:14:23 PM by osso12 »

Offline osso12

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
Homer I think I get what you are saying. You have $20k in parts to get your car to the level that it is now... With your free labor.. So you have $0 in labor...and $20k in parts. And I "assume" but that $20k in parts that was spent is in interior pieces, drive train pieces, and other mechanicals.
And you "charge" other folks for a $8,000 for a paint job. I think I understand now. Please correct me where I am wrong or misunderstanding.

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
sounds like at the end of the day if homers car was a client it would be about a $60k restoration, i know Thorntons gets $100k and you supply the car
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo