General > Hobbies and Interests

223/5.56 ATF Ammo Ban

(1/3) > >>

80TAPaceCar:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/28/lawmakers-wont-be-silenced-over-obama-administration-proposed-ammo-ban/

Not just military surplus, but they have expanded it to just regular civilian 223 also now for some reason.

Petitions, not sure since it’s the WH site if it matters, but there is a link to NRA also and what they suggest.

If you don’t shoot .223, it’s only a matter of time before they go after what you do shoot.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150225/urge-your-representative-to-join-congressional-response-to-batfe-ammo-ban

Later
Kev

Bayou_Flyer:
61000 signatures...surely more coming. I have heard that when the govt opens up any proposal to public comment, the govt has to respond to each before moving forward.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the .223 pistol is an AR15 without a stock? That "pistol" is the basis for the govt's desire for banning certain ammo. A .223 round is not a pistol round....

Notice how this is guided under the need to protect law enforcement, but just who would shoot at law enforcement? Not the average Joe. Another issue to consider is that police officers wear soft body armor, not steel. From my understanding, any rifle round has the ability to penetrate soft body armor because it is designed to stop handgun projectiles. Friends who shoot thousands of rounds each year say these green tip rounds are no more effective at penetrating steel armor than a regular .223 round...which is why it is a surplus ammunition now.

Of course, we all know that when outright banning of certain firearms fails, the govt do-gooders will simply take "alternate measures" to achieve their goal. Give an inch...they will take a foot...

80TAPaceCar:

--- Quote from: Bayou_Flyer on March 01, 2015, 11:21:03 AM ---I have heard that when the govt opens up any proposal to public comment, the govt has to respond to each before moving forward.
--- End quote ---

I can't comment on this issue, this is the first time I have signed a petition for on a WH site.  I have even created another e-mail for my domain just for petitions, so they don't have my main e-mail address.

--- Quote from: Bayou_Flyer on March 01, 2015, 11:21:03 AM ---Correct me if I am wrong, but the .223 pistol is an AR15 without a stock? That "pistol" is the basis for the govt's desire for banning certain ammo. A .223 round is not a pistol round....
--- End quote ---

Correct, an AR Pistol is a short barreled AR without a stock.  This is how some get around the SBR (Short Barreled Rifle)  NFA (National Firearms Act) registration and not have to pay a $200.00 tax stamp.  But have the buffer tube sticking out the back for the bolt cycling with a direct gas system.

http://www.twsarms.com/product/ar15-pistol-75-inch-cqb-od-green/

Technically it is not really a pistol round per say.

I'm seeing some now don't even have the buffer tube since the piston driven system has come out or they simply put the direct gas system over the top of the firearm.  I'm not real versed on this type of pistol though, so have not studied it very much.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0b/Oa-93-full.jpg/400px-Oa-93-full.jpg

--- Quote from: Bayou_Flyer on March 01, 2015, 11:21:03 AM ---Notice how this is guided under the need to protect law enforcement, but just who would shoot at law enforcement?
--- End quote ---

Do you think criminals would abide by the law anyways....liberals are misguided and just want their agenda passed anyway they can.

This is how ATF is trying to ban this round, it is focused on a 30 year old law.  Even the writer of the law says it was not to be used for a rifle round such as the .223/5.56.

--- Quote from: Bayou_Flyer on March 01, 2015, 11:21:03 AM ---Of course, we all know that when outright banning of certain firearms fails, the govt do-gooders will simply take "alternate measures" to achieve their goal. Give an inch...they will take a foot...
--- End quote ---

The anti-gunners did not get the Assault Rifle ban they wanted, now they are trying to get around it by doing it this way and banning the ammunition to starve it out of existence.

AR-15's even come in the 308 and now the Beowulf 50 caliber.  The 308 has been around for a very long time also, which is another hunting round.  At one time you could get an AR upper for the 12 and 410 gauge shotgun.   They going to ban that also?

Later
Kev

80TAPaceCar:
Oops, I forgot that you could get the AR in 22lr round also, I guess they will have to ban that round also.

Kev

Bayou_Flyer:
Exactly, a shortened AR is considered a pistol for its lack of a stock....but it is still an AR. That was my point on the round....it is for a rifle and not a pistol.

The gun banners want to ban it as a pistol round, but they are probably the same people who would load a magazine with the round facing the wrong way (and succeed).  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version