Author Topic: Borg Warner Transmission  (Read 3103 times)

Offline DWills

Borg Warner Transmission
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »
I am looking for help trying to rebuild a borg warner st10 and am having trouble with the first gear.  It has about .014" of lateral movement and has come into contact with the reverse idler gear.  I have taken it back apart but cannot find anything that is out of the ordinary.  I am looking for any ideas.

Thanks
Doug

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
Do you have the parts blow out for that transmission?  There's a sleeve for first gear and a washer that goes behind the gear, plus a snap ring then the bearing, then the retainer assembly, then a ring that's 1/16 thick, then another ring, then reverse gear.  

You may be missing something.  Basically, you need to compare what you've got to the parts blow out to make sure you've got all the parts, and that they are on the correct way.

I had my transmission rebuilt by someone who has done it many times before.  I brought him the parts blow out thinking I might insult him.  But he thanked me and asked to keep it because there are so many parts it's easy to get something on in the wrong sequence or on backwards.  

Also, I had a couple of clips that had broken apart.  So in disassembly, they wouldn't be on the shaft.  Had I done the rebuild myself, I might not have even noticed that they were missing or required.

I give you a lot of credit for doing it yourself.  When they had mine disassembled, they had all the parts in a pan.  It was then that I realized that I made the right decision to have a pro rebuild it.

Offline DWills

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:19:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Yea I have the parts blow up and the manuals from GM but what I am looking at is the 1st gear collar is slightly shorter than a shoulder on the main shaft, the washer bottoms on the shoulder and the first gear can move between the shift  clutch assembly and the washer.  I thought I might be missing something but none of the old parts are thin enough to take up that amount of space (~.014")  all the washers are in the .080" range.  Unfortunaltly none of the information in the manuals discusses numbers or distances they are just assembly steps.  Did you know of a shop that worked on older transmissions or was it not a problem since these are older versions of the richmond gear ST10.

Thanks again for the reply

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:45:45 AM »
The shop I used has a mechanic that knows these cars pretty well because he owned one.  He can disassemble a BW transmission and put it back together without any manuals.  The shop does a lot of work on older cars, but like all shops, they make their money on brake jobs for newer cars.

It's probably something simple.  Maybe someone else can jump in that has experience rebuilding these transmissions.  You might try posting on the tac forum.

Offline Banditboy21

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 04:56:11 PM »
is the reverse idler gear tight or does it move also i think i know what your problem is i just rebuilt my st 10 this winter and have had no problems with it but ran into some while rebuild it let me know and i know i can help if it is what i think it is

Offline DWills

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:16:05 PM »
I am looking more and more at the reverse idler gear because it has some wear that does not look right where it contacts the bronze thrust washer in the tail housing.  I assembled it dry last night (no gaskets) and can't seem to duplicate the contact.  I think I am going to replace the two piece reverse idler gear assembly and the thrust washers just in case.

Offline Banditboy21

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »
check the tailhousing it self right where the copper thrust washer sits in the houisng around the reverse idler shaft and does it look worn or like there is some material missing the thrust washers have a little tang on them that sometimes spin and tear up the tailshaft housing

Offline DWills

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 09:08:43 PM »
Thanks I am going to check that tomorrow,  did you transmission have a washer and not a needle bearing surronded by two steel washers?

Offline Banditboy21

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 09:47:57 PM »
what gear ratios do u have some came with a thrust washer and some came with a torrington bearing washer not sure which but i believe the 2:43 1st gear tranny came with the bearing i have this one but a washer instead of bearing

Offline DWills

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:15:37 PM »
By all the markings I have decoded I have the 2.43 1st gear but when I  took it apart it had a bronze washer so that is what I replaced it with.  I spoke to the tech line at richmond gear and he said that they have been using the same design since 75' and all their trannies have the bearing.  When trying this combo the rear tail housing won't seat and the transmission binds due to compression of the reverse idler gear assembly.

Offline Banditboy21

Borg Warner Transmission
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 10:53:35 AM »
ok that is what i got did u look at the tail housing to se if it was torn up bythe bronze washer cause if it was u may be needing a new tail shaft