Author Topic: 1978 y88 on eBay  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Russell89tta

1978 y88 on eBay
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
I'm new to your forum but I have wanted a bandit style ta for some time now, 1 problem I do not want black so that brings me to my question. I found a 1978 y88 on eBay but it has a few questionable facts, 6600 miles newer wheels like the one on my 89 ta roll bar and a fixed shaker hood, I'm sure some y'all have seen this car and just was looking for an educated opinion . I'm not looking for an investment but a fun car to drive. I would greatly appreciate any input
Thanks

Offline RED FIVE O

Re: 1978 y88 on eBay
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
Just checked ebay and didn't see the car you asked about so it's kind of hard to comment. A few things though. I have a hard time believing someone took a 6,000 original mile Y88 and modified the hood/shaker, changed the wheels to stock 89 wheels and put in a roll bar. If you could post pics, a link or more info someone here has the knowledge to help but with just that description I would keep looking. Put up some more info and someone will help.

Offline LilSki

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
Yeah a lot of issues with that car. Speedo is not a factory original so that explains the "low mileage". Pictures are pretty terrible in my opinion. Also the "Car originally built for SCCA Racing" comment is just a nice way of saying has been modified by who knows who and not knowing what was done. Not saying that is isn't a Y88 as it has the right parts but unless I could go through the car with a fine tooth comb in person I would pass.
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline marx3

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
it seems weird to advertise the car as a true SE and post a picture of a silver dashbezel... what are the odds that the car was in fact built for SCCA? would that include hood pins originally? I think you are right Lilski. Built for SCCA is just a thin way to explain all the extra stuff added. hoodpins for example :-)
But hey... the valvecovers almost look goldplated. If it is real gold the car is a bargain! :-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:40:44 PM by marx3 »
Ignition & Induction.

"What are we gonna do, kidnap the Pope or something ?"

Offline RED FIVE O

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »
There is no way that car is a 6,000 mile original car. Look at the console lid. Did someone just sit in it and completely discolor, warp and crack it over the years without driving it? Factory tailpipes missing. Factory seats missing. Under the hood is filthy and not just dust from sitting. Look at the power steering cap and around the emissions tag. Greasy and rusty. Two things that shouldn't be for an original car with basically no miles. There's no way it aged that badly under the hood but the body and paint went untouched. As someone already pointed out that speedo is not original either so whatever it says for miles is pointless. All of the stuff that has been changed looks hacked. The body and interior does look very nice from the pictures but with a 6,000 mile car I'm surprised there are no pictures of the underside because it should be spotless and a huge selling point. I would stay away from it to be honest unless you could buy it for what it is. A modified car with unknown mileage.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »
More like 106,621 miles lol