Author Topic: Dash lights  (Read 2818 times)

Offline 1976400

Dash lights
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »
Fixing up all the lights. We've managed to get all the exterior lights working, as well as all the interior courtesy lights, but the dash is proving a problem.
When I bought the car, if you turned the ignition on, the seatbelt light and brake light would come on for a second, but neither would stay on. Both the green indicator lights work now, but only one did before. My blue high beam light used to work fine, but now doesn't. No other lights work, or have ever worked for me, on the dash.
Is it just one thing stopping them, or could it be a lot of things?
All the bulbs are fine.
76 Trans Am - rather messed up - slow restoration in progress

**Right or wrong what's done is done/it's only moments that you borrow** - The Eagles

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dash lights
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
pull your cluster see if you have a broken circuit board.... then start chasing the wires after that....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 1976400

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Circuit board is okay, a little corroded at the edges but it still seems to work alright.

**Right or wrong what's done is done/it's only moments that you borrow** - The Eagles

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
well you have to inspect for breaks, usually cant see them unless you are really looking....
Eroc

Offline 1976400

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 12:20:43 AM »
Nah my boyfriend checked everything with a mulitmeter, it all read fine. There must be some main connection somewhere or something, I don't know much about it.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »
how about the fuse in the panel? its the smallest one at the bottom of the fuses... i know its the simple start but ive seen em go...
Eroc

Offline 1976400

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
Haha turns out that my fuse aint broken, it aint even there! Thanks, we've got them working now :)

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »
Yeah. I am having the same issue with mine not working. The wiring in the car is butchered. I should just buy the painless kit. My cluster lights are the only things not working...oh and my dimmer and I bought I new switch for it and also replaced the whole sluster so I think it is something other then the fuse and circuit board for me.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 01:11:14 AM »
Yeah. I am having the same issue with mine not working. The wiring in the car is butchered. I should just buy the painless kit. My cluster lights are the only things not working...oh and my dimmer and I bought I new switch for it and also replaced the whole sluster so I think it is something other then the fuse and circuit board for me.

the painless kit is going to be more of a pain then a new repro harness.... fyi....
Eroc

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 07:02:38 AM »
oh. Good to know. Thanks for the heads up
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 1976400

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:20 AM »
Sounds complicated. Some muppet really had a go at rewiring everything in mine and it was all screwed up, nothing much is original. The dash was the last thing we had to fix up. We removed miles of wires that weren't even doing anything, they'd been stuck in for speakers and stuff that aint even there anymore. Not to mention countless joins and all my lightbulb sockets have been replaced. Now to get the radio going... :)