Author Topic: 1979 trans am  (Read 107929 times)

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
Re: 1979 trans am
« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
If you can't get it welded down, another way to put the floor metal down is to screw it down. That would be stronger than rivets. Some 1/4" sheet metal screws with 3/8" hex heads can secure it pretty good. Drill 3/16" holes. Then if you decide to weld it later, you could just take the screws out and weld it down.
Steve F.

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
thanks for the advice, i see what you mean. ill probably that instead. i would like to get them welded in later on.
with the $20,000+ for the surgery has left me trailing behind this year

what do you think about the undercoating idea?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:19:46 AM by racereaper7 »

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
my work station for the day- wish it was not raining

little cleaning

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »
what do you guys think about using this between the original floor and the new metal
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MMM0/08656.oap?keyword=seam+sealer&pt=N2356&ppt=C0171
then
then this for on top  of new metal
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HER0/HCL0B3.oap?mn=Herculiner&mc=HER&pt=N1832&ppt=C0339
*i know its bed liner but i heard from my buddy from work it is really good (has it for his truck)-he said it might work pretty good for my project

not sure what to use for the bottom of the car? was thinking about taking to a local shop to have it undercaoted?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:09:35 PM by racereaper7 »

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #334 on: May 15, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
Yes, the 3M seam sealer is very good to use. It has a strong solvent odor when you use it, so use a lot of ventilation so you don't breathe too much of it. The odor goes away after it dries a couple days.

I suggest cleaning your new metal with some acid metal prep solution first following the instructions. Or if you don't want to do that, you can clean the metal with some lacquer thinner and scuff it up with some 180 grit. After preparing the metal, go ahead and paint it on both sides with some black epoxy primer. Epoxy primer protects against rust very well all by itself. For more protection against rust, you can spray it with some good paint. After it dries a day, you can install the metal.

I would not use the bed liner spray. Not only do I not like the bed liner inside a car, but if you go back later to weld the pans down, the bed liner is in the way and have to be removed where ever you need to weld. Instead, lay some floor insulation down on your floors, which is how it was done originally. Some of the Pontiac restoration parts places sell pre-cut floor insulation, ready to lay in. Here's an interesting information page about original floor insulation: http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/bingo/options/quiet/quiet.htm
Steve F.

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #335 on: May 15, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
ok got the seam sealer orderd, got the metal cleaner + 180 grit. then found some black epoxy.
thanks for the info and advice  Grand73Am. you have been a big help again.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
Glad to be of help  :) .
Steve F.

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #337 on: May 15, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
what do you guys think?
http://www.ziebartsuperstore.com/rustprotect.html

i was thinking it might be easier to have it done? how hard would it be to undercoat by my self.

has anyone used por-15? was thining of putting it on top of the floor before i lay down the underlay and new carpet.
was going to paint on chassis black paint but i think this would have more purpose.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/POI-1QB/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:56:51 PM by racereaper7 »

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #338 on: May 17, 2011, 07:56:44 AM »

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #339 on: May 17, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »
what do you guys think?
http://www.ziebartsuperstore.com/rustprotect.html

i was thinking it might be easier to have it done? how hard would it be to undercoat by my self.

has anyone used por-15? was thining of putting it on top of the floor before i lay down the underlay and new carpet.
was going to paint on chassis black paint but i think this would have more purpose.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/POI-1QB/

You don't need anything else on your new metal if you painted it with epoxy primer, other than a coat of enamel or urethane paint if you wish. So, no...don't paint POR-15 on your new floors.

You don't need POR-15 on new metal, and you would NOT paint it over other paint. Plus, it doesn't stick well to new metal. POR means "paint over rust" and that's what it's best for. So, the only places you could use POR-15 is on the rest of the floor. You'd sand down and wirebrush any loose rust off of the old metal as clean as you can and then paint the POR-15 over that. It's good for where you can't get all the rust off of old metal. If you could sandblast the metal and get all the rust off, you wouldn't need POR-15. You'd paint over it with epoxy primer.

Ideally, I wouldn't use any undercoating on the floor at all, not even underneath. If the bottom of the car is painted good enough, you don't need it. The value of the car is maintained better without undercoating on it. Since undercoating is often used to cover up bad floors or poor work, potential buyers would rather see a bare painted floor in good condition.  
Steve F.

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #340 on: May 17, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
thanks again Grand73Am. thats what i needed to know. im going to go pick up some good enamel/urethane paint. and order some new floor insulation (like back in the day).

got my rivet gun and seam sealer today. going to try and test fit everything this weekend and do some more cleaning and hopfully by next weekend i can get it all installed. sunday i might go autocrossing with my buddys to go have some fun.

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #341 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
racereaper-----

Do you have all new floor pans?

Just wondering----If you aren't too far from my location you can have any part of the floor from this '79 parts car I just got.
I'm cutting it up this weekend.
I see you live in Illinios---not sure were Normal is.

Basically--- you could mark out what sections you want and I would blow it out with the plasma cutter and send you on your way with the sections you need.   The trunk pan is rotted and rear frame rails are soft/brittle.

The offer is there. Dave in Northern Indiana
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #342 on: May 17, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »
i have the driver pan. ill see what i can do with that but ill let you know if i need any more. thank you for the offer. ill let you know

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #343 on: May 21, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »
went over today to test fit the floor pan which does not fit to close (i know its used to replace and to go on top of)
the e-brake cable is in the way-might have to cut it because it is to rusted to come loose-have not touch it because when i did the rear brakes it had froze up. need to do some more work on the kick toe plates but ran out of time for the day. open for any input or advice

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #344 on: May 21, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »
passenger side is going to be much better install because it is flatter than the driver side. you can see in the pictures the gap on the driver front side. did not get as far as i wanted today. some set backs and other plans. plus my torx bit to take the seat belt off snapped in two and had to order another.