Trans Am Photos > Restoration Projects

My 81 TA Restomod

(1/2) > >>

Deezelcaddy:
Hi to all. My project began 9 years ago with the purchase of an 81 305 trans am roller. The body seemed super solid, I found out later that was not the case (more on that later). It was a factory t top 4spd car. Over the next two years, I hand built a 383 stroker motor from a 72 corvette with all the fixins’: forged crank, h-beam rods, aluminum heads, Weiand intake, Holley carb, hooker ceramic headers etc. I also had a super t 10 built by the local 4spd guru at Hoss’ gear shop with all nos parts. I had the rear end gone through. The existing ring and pinion and auburn locker were like new, so they stayed. I put all new body and spring bushings throughout and got the correct small block shaker fit to the motor. . My 15” snow flakes were wrapped in new rubber and finished with new caps and lug nuts. I then took the car to my painter for an all black paint job. We quickly found out that my “solid” roller had a few secrets. At some point, it looked like they slid it into a pole and smashed the right rear quarter panel. I have to give the PO credit. He was a master sculptor with tiger hair! It was obvious there was some putty in the quarter, but I was surprised to see a softball-sized chunk fall out during sanding. So, that quarter was removed and a new quarter, rear left corner and tail panel were welded in. Then the painter slowed down. It is 7 years later and I’m told the car will be finally finished next week. I’m told 7 years is a long time for a paint job. I tend to agree but it’s water under the bridge. I’m just excited to get my car back. My vision May ruffle some feathers in the purist circles. I want a black on black, murdered out TA. I had him paint all the chrome, door handles, trim etc black. I also put a 77 nose on the car. I just like it better. I have the 81 nose if someone wants to put it back to original. I ordered a matte black hood bird for the car too. In my mind, every TA needs a screamin’ chicken, but I wanted mine to be subtle. I also have a complete horse collar 77 interior for the car. My plan for the car moving forward is to finish the suspension: all new front end bushings and components, lowering springs and billstiens at all 4 corners. A complete interior that I will pick up from TA central at spring Carlisle. I also want to re wire the entire car. There is some spaghetti under the dash. I’ve rewired  many Jeep Cj’s and they use the exact same harness, so I feel comfortable with that portion. I also have to re-dye all the interior plastics. I have all the sem products to do so. Finally, led lights all around and I think it will be ready to melt those new tires. This site has been great for info all along in my Resto journey. I will find the sticky on posting pics and get some up ASAP. A small housekeeping note, the registration questions still think it’s 2018. Thanks to all for all the amazing advice on this site. It is an asset to the firebird nation.

Nexus:
sounds cool...any pictures!!

wateridw:
Would love to see pictures of it.

tenerife92:
It sounds like a good project. Have you made any progress?

b_hill_86:
I think he’s gone. Hasn’t been on since April 4th

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version