Author Topic: Need work! ( 1977-1979 TA owners )  (Read 15485 times)

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: Need work! ( 1977-1979 TA owners )
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
yeah cl is always an option, my nocturne is a 28k car with close to zero rust so she is getting a nut and bolt resto, but i am doing the se and the madmax t/a first, plus i started a resto-mod shortbed chevy truck so the nocturne is sleeping quietly under the covers
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
resto mod short bed chevy is on my list also , just gotta find one lol
She's a Winner

Offline osso12

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
resto mod short bed chevy is on my list also , just gotta find one lol
Thats funny.. I like em.. but I don't care to drive em.
I have had nine 1968 camaros, 3 second gen TA's, a 69 ford fairlane 428 cobra jet, four third gen camaros, a 68 beetle, 2 VW Scirrocco's
a Jetta TDI, a fourth gen Trans Am, and a 1990 Mazda B220 Pickup. Other than the 93 beater pickup truck I drive at the present, the mazda is the only other truck I have owned. As you can see by my list, I am more of a car person. LOL
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:10:50 PM by osso12 »

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »
im more of a custom truck guy if i get time i will post up my last one i built
She's a Winner

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
i would like to see that, i to do not like to drive them so i am debating a rack and pinion
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline osso12

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
im more of a custom truck guy if i get time i will post up my last one i built
please do.

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
it was a 95 s-10 i custom built the back half of the frame had air ride front back and side to side, smoothed the interior panels and painted to match

and here is a camaro i did not to long ago

not the best pics but i dont take many
She's a Winner

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »
nice
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline osso12

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
not to jack my own thread...(its gotta go someplace right  ;)) My buddy is doing a daily driver S10..
What I was going to say...those IROC rims we posted earlier in this thread will be for sale if anyone wants em. We still need to clean up the last one, but they are pretty much done. No IROC caps or lugs. Reason I mention this is because he found some Champ 500 clones to go on it. Ill see if I can post a pic.

Offline osso12

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »

He is looking for suggestions on the S10. He simply wants it as a driver but wants to sproof it up a bit with some bling.
I told him to lower it and paint it black and put IROC wheels on it.
Well you see how for the IROC wheels Idea went, and he said he did not want to lower it.
I don't know if he plans on painting it or not. He mentioned spending a $1,000 on a respray??
hum....might be a business proposition for me. LOL!

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »
def needs lowered
She's a Winner

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »
lower it for sure, paint it millenium yellow and take his $1000
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline osso12

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
lower it for sure, paint it millenium yellow and take his $1000

hahaha! he just texted me and said I did not have a garage to paint it in... I told him $500 if he helped me prep it and he said why should the customer do any work? i told him now its $1,000 for refusing the $500 offer! Bottom line neither have a place to squirt it at. I guess this puts this little iron in the fire of mine out...

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »
I understand & hear your passion.  Sometimes passion will not pay the bills.  With what your are proposing, sounds like to me that you would be just trading & moving dollars around.  No real profit in the bank. 

Let me hit you with this....

With your skills, have you ever considered a "rent a mechanic"?  Or as in the medical field it would be called a "traveling Mechanic"? 

For instance Joe blow has "x" needed done to his Trans Am.  You show up, live with the person paying the bills, work on or restore the car to mutual satisfaction & then go to the next job or home to TX.

Granted Joe Blow needs to be able to provide you with certain things to do the job, plus room & board & meals too.  Hopefully you get the idea.

Wanna make a trip to WV to test it out?

Stan

I do this, but on a local level most of the time (although I have gone and am willing to go to other states for extended periods). Now I only work non daily driver types of cars, trucks or whatever. Limiting yourself to say just 1st & 2nd gen F bodies starting off will really limit your potential customer base. You need referrals to get going and keep going.

Ignore the whole Build A Bandit type thing and trying to get builds of entire cars. Building/rebuilding an entire car gets way more involved and costs a LOT more than most customers realize. Shops are full of cars being stored while the customer comes up with more money. Meanwhile the shop is paying rent and has the insurance responsibility for the car. Better to do work, get paid, move on, return when customer is ready for more.

If you're gonna paint cars and want to stick to the same body style I'd avoid 2nd gen Trans Ams in the beginning. They are one of the worst cars to do because of all the pieces that should be painted separately. It takes a lot of extra time, materials, and space to do all the pieces and then assemble. Many customers think a paint job is a paint job whether it's a very simple car like a Dodge Dart or a TA. So they won't understand why it should cost a grand more to do a TA than the Dart.

I have a few builds I'm working on at any given time and a steady flow of small jobs doing performance upgrades or restoration type jobs. Some work is done at customers homes/shops, some at my home garage/shop, and some at a commercial shop a bud has with a lift etc. Where I do a particular job (or portion of a job) depends on the customers desires and whether it'd be easier/safer to do a job at a particular place. Labor rates are different depending on location.

I'm in Southeast FL and a lot of people build home shops here. I work  for several people who have built home shop areas with various levels of equipment from nothing more than the most minimal of hand tools to fairly well equipped shops where I rarely need to bring anything to the job.

I usually have a couple long term full builds I'm working on at peoples home shops and then fill my schedule with shorter jobs. The owners like that the car is at their home so they're not worried about anything happening to it and they can spend money at a pace they are comfortable with rather than feeling compelled to spend more than they would like to at a particular time. If they don't feel like spending money on or working on the car for a month or two and going away on vacation it isn't a problem. They don't feel obliged to continue having work done to the car because it's at a shop taking up space. I just work somewhere else till they want me back.

It works out well for the car owner who can do whatever work on the car they want to do themselves whenever they want because the car is at their home shop and also have someone else working with them or doing the rest of the work they don't want to do themselves. Having someone else working can really speed up their build.

Works for me because I can be working on lots of cars without storing and being responsible for them while waiting for parts or funds. I get paid when work is done and very little overhead like rent/utilities. When a job takes a lot more time than normal due to problems the customer sees that because they're often there to see the problem so I get paid for my time. In a regular shop environment the shop ends up eating the extra time for some jobs because they don't want to try to justify it to the customer fearing the customer will think they're being ripped off.

I'm currently working on full builds of a Factory Five GTM and a 69 Camaro vert PT build at home shops. With a build like the Camaro I'll take something like the subframe away and strip it, get all the mods done for say a DSE stage 3 setup, paint it, and then bring it back to the customers home shop to reinstall. Meanwhile the owner can be working on something else.

I took a pic at a customers home last week while on lunch break during a complete rewire of a 67 El Camino. There's a 12 car garage/shop in back of the El Camino filled with Tri 5's and late 60's Chevys. This customer prefers to have me just work at his home shop and refuses to leave a car at a regular shop overnight, even if it's me working on it. If I need a lift he'll trailer the car to the shop so I can work on it but will not leave it overnight. Brought it to the shop with a lift for a day so I could do brakes and tomorrow I'm working on it back at his home installing dash/gauges etc.

Like Texas the sun is hot in the summer months so I've got a portable tarp and some strong fans I use if I'm working outside or in a non AC garage. It's cooler where I live near the ocean but it was 97-98 when I took the pic below. With the awning and fans it isn't bad. The full builds I'm working on this summer are both in home garage/shops with AC which is nice, so I try to schedule my work there for the hotter and more humid days.

My home shop. Was making custom length plug wires, adjusting valves, and some other underhood work on the Chevelle.

I have a couple shop area rooms behind the doors. One for clean work and one for sandblasting, fabrication etc.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:21:44 AM by NOT A TA »
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline b3nny

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
man i love that shop. I think we should start a show us your shop/garage thread. I got some good ideas from you thanks for sharing.
Looking for my TA Again.