Author Topic: 78 Mayan Red Trans Am Restoration/Modification  (Read 56046 times)

Offline Elz

Re: 78 Mayan Red Trans Am Restoration/Modification
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
Worked last night for a little bit. Got some more stuff torn off so I can attend to the frame and the cowl.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:50:07 PM by Elz »

Offline Elz

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »
Did some work this weekend.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »
Excellent progress. I like your door stand.
Steve F.

Offline Elz

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
Thanks, I am fortunate that I have a buddy with a lot of tools. It's his door tool, very handy. I couldn't find my door spring removal tool, and none of the auto parts stores had one. I'll bet I've bought five of them over the last 20 years and all of them were probaly only used once. I had to pry the springs off with a screwdriver. Hopefully by the time I have to put it back together I will stumble across one of those lost tools. Organization isn't my strong suit.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 11:31:56 PM »
I know about the door springs. Not too hard to get out, but a pain to put back in without the door spring tool.
Steve F.

Offline iceman

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
OK, someone beat me to it. I love the door dolly. I have one that fits my floor jack and not near as nice, yet just as handy. They sure are fun to take apart, aren't they? Did your car have the extra insulation/sound deadener(white stuff) in the rear seat area? Anyway, looks like a nice car to start with. I wasn't as lucky with my 77, even with 60K on it... Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline Jimmys77

• My 77 T/A
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
Ok, that door dolly is just too cool.  I didn't even know about those...  The car is coming along nicely.  As stated above I wasn't as lucky either on my 77...

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
Did your car have the extra insulation/sound deadener(white stuff) in the rear seat area?

Can't speak for Elz, but my 79 has that white insulation on the rear floor.  When I first saw it, I thought a previous owner had put it there, since it's not the usual insulation material I've seen before. But now I know it was factory installed....but I don't like it :) ...so I'll be removing it.
Steve F.

Offline Elz

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »
OK, someone beat me to it. I love the door dolly. I have one that fits my floor jack and not near as nice, yet just as handy. They sure are fun to take apart, aren't they? Did your car have the extra insulation/sound deadener(white stuff) in the rear seat area? Anyway, looks like a nice car to start with. I wasn't as lucky with my 77, even with 60K on it... Mike

That door tool is a nice tool. One guy can take his doors off and not have to worry about making some extra work for yourself. Easily adjust too!

Offline Elz

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
Did your car have the extra insulation/sound deadener(white stuff) in the rear seat area?

Can't speak for Elz, but my 79 has that white insulation on the rear floor.  When I first saw it, I thought a previous owner had put it there, since it's not the usual insulation material I've seen before. But now I know it was factory installed....but I don't like it :) ...so I'll be removing it.

Mine had the white insulation on the passenger side and not the driver side. Coincidentally the side with the rust. The driver side is perfect. It had a different type of sound deadener
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:07:10 PM by Elz »

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
Mine's the same, with the white stuff on the passenger side. I think it has to do with the heat from the catalytic converter. And it does seem to be a cause of rust on the floor, since mine was rusty there too.
Steve F.

Offline Elz

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »
Kind of weird.... regardless, that stuff isn't going back into mine either. I think the rust is going to blast away. It doesn't appear to be too weak yet. I guess I will evaluate it after it is all cleaned up. Going to use Body Shutz and probably some DynaMat instead. Should protect and sound deaden. Can't wait to get to that point. Might need to take up a third job to fund this project.

Offline 76T/AFLY

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 07:35:24 PM »
Super nice car to start with. We're all drooling over that door tool....sigh! I'm going to enjoy this thread, all these pictures. We all love pics. Good luck and we'll root you on. ;D

Offline Red 79 TA 403

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
Looks like a great start Elz! Thanks for the link to your pics. Awesome Transmission case!

Offline Red 79 TA 403

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
I just checked out Butler Performance's web site, looks like a great choice for parts and info. Just how much power and torque are you wanting to put in this? Obviously not just a show car huh?