Author Topic: a bit of work on my 77 TA  (Read 69112 times)

Offline Schroeder

a bit of work on my 77 TA
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »
Well I decided to start my own little project thread instead of starting topics everyday with various questions for you guys.  With my own thread not only can I ask you questions, but I can keep you guys updated on what I'm doing (for those who care!).  I just got the engine out and there is a lot I can do now such as painting the frame, firewall, replacing body mounts, etc, etc. 

The main point of pulling this out was to kick off my efforts to go through this entire car.  I'm going to start by repainting the engine, replacing the rear main, and replacing the seals and bearings in my M21. 

Here some pictures to start you guys off.  Below these first several are some pictures of things that I have questions about....

Now here are the pictures concerning my questions....
1.  What is this on my steering column?  A neighbor told me this was for a automatic shifter on the column.  Where would this have come from?  I'd like to think that he is wrong because if he's right it means there is some incorrect piece of crap that was used to piece stuff together.

2. What is the little cut off wire knub sticking out of the firewall by the AC/heater box thing?  What's it for?  Anyone know?

3. Here is a shot taken under my car.  The bolt sticking out is a bolt connecting the cross member to my frame.  The bolt seems oversized because it was touching my floor pan.  Is it?  Or could my body be messed up?  Would smashed, junk body bushings cause this? 

4. What are these two snipped off wires that go into the car at the base of the brake booster for?

5. Does this paint removal on the door striker indicate that my doors are out of adjustment?

6. Is it normal that the subframe be pushed out like this where the bumper attaches to the subframe?  Heavy bolts with heavily splined bases push through so as to stop the bolt from spinning, so I'd assume this is normal, but thought I'd check.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:52:03 PM by Schroeder »

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
Re: a bit of work on my 77 TA
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »
Looks cool. Is it a real SE?
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:51 AM »
the linkage is for an auto shfter as they used the same columns in all
the wire knub i do not know but ll look on mine
the bolt is to hard to see from the pic
the 2 wires on booster look like after market maybe an alarm
car looks great
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »
It's an SE clone.  Thanks guys.  It is a lot of work that's for sure.  I'm going to replace all the gaskets and paint everything you see (except for the exterior of the car.)  Where can I get a small amount of paint for the engine?  I want something close to the corporate blue.  I think a quart would be way too much.  Where do you guys get your blue?

Also, do you guys have any suggestions on what paint to get for the exhaust manifolds and M21? 

This week is probably going to be a slow one for the car.  I have hmwk for school and may have to work one night this week too.  I hope to get stuff ready for blasting this weekend though.

Thanks for helping with the questions I have.  If you guys have more answeres or input I appreciate it!

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
cut off nub is vacuum for your ac/heat controls.
bolt is on trans crossmember-- just appears prior owner or whoever lost bolt and used one a little longer.
sub frame to bumper/bracket area spline area. that is very common . no worries there.

Is this a '77 or '78?
I'm seeing a little of both.
Just asking.
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21:06 PM »
you can buy your paint in a can. I think NPD has the correct color for you.
probably a toll free call
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:23 PM »
appears be a VERY clean car.
Doesn't look like you will have too hard of a project ahead of you.

Sorry about the multiple post.
I'm on cell phone.
Sometimes the roaming ain't what customers pay for.

Damn ---- I wish that was my project.
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline iceman

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »
For the exhaust manifolds, I HIGHLY recommend the stainless exhaust manifold paint sold only by The Eastwood Company. If your not familiar with them, they simply offer some of the best automotive restoration supplies on the market. I simply brush it on and it last for years. I don't know of any other product thay lasts a long and thier under hood black is simply awesome. Check them out and I'm sure they have some other paints you may need, Great car to restore you have there. Keep us posted, Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
Shakerbreaker, keep in mind I paid a very very good price for this car as if it were already restored.  I have found very much stuff that is wrong with it.   I got screwed from my own ignorance of these cars at the time and from the criminal I bought this from trying to hide stuff.  Anyway, it is what it is.  If I woulda paid project price for this I woulda had NO problem with the car.

Here are several pictures with some questions I have.  This weekend or next week sand blasting is going to begin on the core support, exhaust manifolds, muncie housing, driveshaft, shifter, etc.  New gears for the muncie should also be coming, so there will be lots of fun pictures next week hopefully if the timeline plays out correctly!  Here you guys go.  I appreciate any wisdom you can offer me.

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
yes -- temp sending unit in head.
yes -- freeze plugs and oil gall plugs plugs rear of block.
Yes --- crank.

-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
iceman, I have heard of eastwood and their products.  Thanks for the suggestion.  ill write down the name of that paint.  No wonder I never had a n engine temperature reading.  I had a suspsicion that was the temp unit.  It's plug in on my wire harness must be missing because there was nothing in its vacinity that should have fit it.

Shakerbreaker, do the freeze plugs or oil plugs typically leak?  Like I said I have oil all over the back of the engine and I can't tell where it's all coming from!

Who here recommends the viton rubber seals for the rear mean?  Who here reccomends the graphite impregnated rope seals?  I've done my research and it appears that it's half and half for who prefers which seal.  I myself lean towards the graphite rope because it needs no modification to use where the viton seal needs to be sanded a bit before install to remove some ridges on it.  This makes me nervous.

The pulleys and hopefully intake manifold are coming off tonight!  I'll keep you posted.

Is that the right sending unit?  The back where it should go into the wire harness is a round, ribbed "stub."  I just watched fbodywarehouse's video on replacing the temperature sending unit and their unit had a clip sticking off it that would slide into a typical wire harness fitting (granted they were working on a 403 in a 78 whereas I have a 400 in a 77.  It just got me thinking.).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:34:55 PM by Schroeder »

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »
another update with questions!

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »
not a crack .
timing cover.

you are shop blessed.
that shop is awesome!!!!!!
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 04:37:40 AM »
intake vacuum question: left circle is a choke stove pipe, lower circle is a vacuum valve and upper is a capped off manifold port, you will need a vacuum diagram once ready to install again. Looking good
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »
well it's nice to know there are vacuum diagrams available because my previous owner hacked 95% of them off I'd say.  it's ridiculous. 

Shakerbreaker that crack is normal? Good to know!  And yes I am very shop-blessed!  Really nice place to work and it has heating for the winters.  It's my father's and I'm trying to contain my work area, but you know how cars grow when taken apart!