Author Topic: a bit of work on my 77 TA  (Read 69111 times)

Offline Schroeder

Re: a bit of work on my 77 TA
« Reply #240 on: June 07, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
Got some work done.  The subframe has been put on with its new energy suspension bushings.  Amazing how much more space there is between the subframe and the floor of the car with new, un-smashed bushings.  I did some cross measurements to holes on the rear frame from the front subframe mounting areas using a plumb bob and such.  I got measurements to be within 1/8"-3/16" and called the alignment good enough.

Can anyone assist me in getting these windows lined up?  They seem too far off.  I have tried adjusting them closer to the door skin towards the rear of the door and furhter from the skin near the front of the door according to some instructions someone on the forum provided me, but they have not worked.  Could my tracks be facing the wrong way?  Is there any way the wheels could be on the wrong sides of the tracks or something like that?

I don't know if you can tell here but the window is about one inch from the door skin towards the rear of the door!

Here are my brake lines on the car, the new booster, etc.  I also threw in a picture of the old brake lines next to the inline tube brake lines.  It's amazing how well they make the original brake lines.  I hope you can tell from the pics.

Here is another question I have.  I just put Bilstein shocks. I pictured a sheet of the torque specs.  I then picture my shocks with about NO torque on them.  If I torque the shock to what the sheet calls for the cushions will bulge out MORE.  This does not seem right.  Should I keep puttin' the torque on?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:46:28 PM by Schroeder »

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »
Lines routed and steering box cleaned up and painted.  I believe the box is supposed to be black but I like this cast aluminum look much better for it.

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »
Finally got the bellhousing dowels out after an hour and a half.  My dad suggested using bolt extractors.  I hammered a #10 onto the dowel and spun it out with the air ratchet.  Came right out.  I wish I would've tried this from the get-go before I wasted a lot of time and gummed the dowels up so badly.  It made measuring them for replacements hard.  I still don't know if I should get .625 or .621 dowels.  :-\   Holes measurements very from .616-.623, and they tend to stay on the lower side of that

As the car comes together the shop opens back up little by little.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:54:30 PM by Schroeder »

Offline iceman

« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
WOW, have you been busy! Get .625 dia dowels. They are a standard size(5/8") and as long as there is a little extra on the opening on the trans belhousing, your OK... Make sure you put some lead on them for ease of trans installation like originals... Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline Hitzy

« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2018, 01:22:57 AM »
Hi. Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm just wondering what happened to this project. What did you find out after you torque the Bilstein shocks?

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2018, 02:04:21 AM »
Sal good, I'm curious myself
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)